Friday, November 2, 2018

What Does Jesus Have To Do With This – Are You Putting Your Faith First?


Some years ago I was attending a men’s fellowship at a church member’s home.  We were gathered to watch a football game – probably a Superbowl.  I must admit that I could not be convicted if charged with being a football fanatic, but I do enjoy watching it on occasion.  Well, as the night progressed, I brought up a spiritual subject – something about Jesus – and was told “Look – we didn’t come here to talk about Jesus- we came here to watch football!”  Now the pretext of our fellowship was the Superbowl – but the context of our being together was our kinship through the Spirit of God made possible through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  

Fast forward to a recent gathering.  I mentioned that we normally add spiritual context to the meeting as was told that we didn’t need to – we could just enjoy our time together.  What I want to address today is the “thread” between those two events – there have been many others – but these are sufficient for my point.

A problem – a temptation – is thinking that our spiritual nature and natural lives are separable. That there are times when it just isn’t necessary or appropriate to mix them.  During Jesus ministry – He never stopped being who He was so as not to offend someone or to avoid being a “wet blanket” at a gathering.  It would be one thing to stand on a chair at a party where there were non-Christians and proclaim the Gospel – unless God told you to.  It is quite another to be in the company of other Believers and be told that discussion of spiritual matters is not necessary or wanted.

Why does that happen? I think because we have put our faith in a box – made it personal – and applicable in appropriate places – like Church – or perhaps at the dining room table before you eat.  Where we are sitting – at home or in a restaurant – is not a consideration as to whether we will give thanks for the food – and the money we used to pay for the meal.

So here is the thing – I have never been at odds over this issue with people who are passionate about their faith – only those who seem to be dispassionate.  If we really do love God more (Matthew 22:37-39) then we would love the opportunity to talk about Him – and if we don’t – really – well, we don’t.  After Peter had denied Jesus before His crucifixion, Jesus asked Peter three times if Peter loved Jesus.  

(John 21:15-17) “When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, LORD," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He answered, "Yes, LORD, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "LORD, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.””

There is a verse in a song that goes “I’ll shout it from the mountain tops, I want the world to know – the Lord of love has come to me – I want to pass it on.”  Do you want the world to know? Is your faith personal and private?  Do you feel uncomfortable when people talk about spiritual things in a social setting.  You spend two maybe three hours in a church building each week – the rest of the time you are out amongst people of the world. If you don’t want to be your “new self” but prefer to hide your light under a bushel basket – you need more oil for your lamp my friend. 

A final thought.  We are to speak the Truth in love.  Not be like a bull in a china closet with our faith.  And what does love look like? 

(1 Corinthians 13) “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”  CHARLEY  

No comments: