Saturday, November 17, 2018

Don’t Beat The Donkey - When Your Plan Doesn’t Seem To Be Working Out

Martie and I are taking some time away from rebuilding homes in Houston so I can write a book.  Something that we are confident that God, wants me to do.  Sorry if that sounds outrageous to believe that the God of the universe wants me to write a book – frankly I am as surprised as you are. At any rate – we have – err had – a plan.  We were going to drive to stay with friends on the coast of Northern California starting the first of November – this is the 17th. But, we are committed to finishing what we started here in Houston, so when we encountered delays in finishing the current house – our book-writing schedule slipped.  We were supposed to leave this week – we did not pass the city inspections for the work we paid to have done by licensed contractors.  The contractors all said – they had never had these specific problems before. Now it is Thanksgiving week.  The chances of getting the final inspections finished next week are remote – out of reach.  Our plan is falling apart! 

What should you do when your plans don’t work out like … well, you planned.  You want to follow the Lord’s leading.  You think you are following the Lord’s leading. But – then – the plan starts to fall apart.  I wrote about King Saul yesterday – 1 Samuel 17.  He chose to take matters into his own hands – forget God, Saul could make it happen on his own.  That is a slippery slope.  When we were in Haiti, I led a mini church service one night – it was called “Church on the beach”, although this time we were meeting in a house that was not on the beach.  At any rate, there were a number of people from the U.S. serving in various capacities in Jacmel, Haiti who got together each week.  Very often they talked about how difficult life was for them.  I shared the importance of walking by faith – by the Spirit of God and not on your own power.  In fact – I told them that if they had come to Haiti and God had not called them to be there – they should go home.  Serving in Haiti was just too difficult to do what they were doing on their own – in the name of Jesus.  Let me say – that is not what they wanted to hear. 

(Proverbs 16:9)Men make plans in their hearts, but God orders their steps.”  God is sovereign.  Even when things don’t go the way you planned.  Are you willing to rest in that?  You should not do something in the name of Jesus if Jesus is not in the game.  If you are acting alone – trying to do something apart from God for the glory of God.  (Acts 19:13-17) “Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding. When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor.” 

Don’t lose sight of the fact that, as a born again Believer, you are spiritual and able because of Jesus.  When things don’t seem to be going your way – don’t push it – don’t try to make it happen.

So what to do.  Did we miss something?  Is God trying to tell us something? Martie and I have been praying about this.  I have been resisting the temptation to act on my own - although I must admit, I have considered it. I was reminded of Balaam and his donkey. Balaam was going where he should not.  His donkey refused to go, so Balaam was beating the donkey.   (Numbers 22:31-34) “ Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown. The angel of the Lord asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me. The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.” Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned. I did not realize you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go back.”” 

We are stepping back.  We are willing to not go to California. Especially if we are going to miss God’s will if we do it on our own.  I will still write the book – I just don’t know where.  Perhaps right here in our travel trailer.  But this I do know – I need to trust God and not myself.  How about you?  CHARLEY  

No comments: