Monday, June 18, 2018

When You Live By Faith - The World Will Think You Are Crazy



…Peter…walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid… —Matthew 14:29-30

{CHAMBERS} “The wind really was boisterous and the waves really were high, but Peter didn’t see them at first. He didn’t consider them at all; he simply recognized his Lord, stepped out in recognition of Him, and “walked on the water.” Then he began to take those things around him into account, and instantly, down he went. […] We step right out with recognition of God in some things, then self-consideration enters our lives and down we go. If you are truly recognizing your Lord, you have no business being concerned about how and where He engineers your circumstances. The things surrounding you are real, but when you look at them you are immediately overwhelmed, and even unable to recognize Jesus. Then comes His rebuke, “…why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:31). […] If you debate for even one second when God has spoken, it is all over for you. Never start to say, “Well, I wonder if He really did speak to me?” Be reckless immediately— totally unrestrained and willing to risk everything— by casting your all upon Him. […] It is only through abandonment of yourself and your circumstances that you will recognize Him. You will only recognize His voice more clearly through recklessness— being willing to risk your all.”

{ELGIN}  Faith can cause you to do crazy things, at least as far as the world is concerned. (1 Corinthians 2:14) “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.” God has challenged us to “walk on the water” on a number of occasions.

The first was when He told me to leave the Army with over 17 years of very successful service.  A good friend told me “the Army will not let you out” since I was a career officer with an obligation and a bright future.  I told him – “If God wants me out, I’ll be out” and 90 days later, I was on the street having exchanged my flight suit for a business suit. 

After God had called us to the mission field I happened to see an old boss – I told him what I was doing – he asked if I had retired from working as a civilian with the Air Force – I said no, I had left to serve God on the mission field – he looked at me in disbelief – I had abandoned everything that he held dear … money - security - possessions - comfort

When we were leaving disaster relief work in Mississippi to open another chapter in our missional journey, as friend asked me what we were going to do – I replied – “We are going to Haiti”  He drew up close to me, looked me square in the eyes and asked “Are you crazy?” to which I replied – “It’s not my idea, it’s God’s!” 

The most recent was when we realized that God was calling out of the boat once again to go on mission. I had been working with the Air Force once again as an IT Systems Engineer.  God called us to Texas.  A good friend of mine asked me to meet for coffee.  He told me that now was not the time to “get out of the boat”.  There were considerations that I was apparently ignoring.  Like the disciples could have told Peter … wait for the waves to calm if you are going to do it!  But when God says “GO!” you must go.  That is part of trusting God.  It’s as if people think – “If God called you – He must not have thought about all of the issues going on”  It is a telling of what they trust in.  Many Christians have a qualified trust in God.  If Peter had, he never would have climbed out of the boat.  If we had we never would have left worldly success to obey God’s call. 

Please .. do not think that I am boasting about our great faith .. I say our because Martie has been in agreement and has been willing on every turn in the course of our lives.  (1 Corinthians 1:30-31) “And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.””  Perhaps it’s time for you to get your feet wet.  If it is – look to Jesus for the strength to do what He asks you to do.

(Zechariah 4:6) “Then he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.”

No comments: