Sunday, June 17, 2018

A Story About God Showing Up - He Is A Just In Time God

I wanted to share some insights that we have gained during the past 6 months.  And to encourage you to be more aware of the needs of the people around you.  (Matthew 25 helping the least of these)

There have been a couple of verses that the Lord has brought to our minds as we have walked the path of service that He has set our feet upon here in Texas. Specifically ….

Galatians 6:2 "Bear one another's burdens"

James 1:27 "Visit the widows in their affliction" (the major difference between a widow and a single mom is the way in which the husband left the home - one in death and the other disobedience to his vows to his wife and to God)

1 Timothy clarifies or expands on this verse.

1 Timothy 5:3-8 "Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need.  But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help. But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.  Give the people these instructions, so that no one may be open to blame. Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

By God's design, most of the homes we have had the privilege to work on in Texas are owned by widows, one by a single mom, one by a single woman, and one by a couple.  Part of what we do is learn about the struggle both financial, emotional and relational that these women face. In every case, the immediate family has failed them.  They are "in need and left all alone".  

So where is the church in all of this?  When the family fails to help or is incapable of helping, according to the Word, that is when the local church should step in.  Frankly I don't see it happening.  I suppose that there are some churches that have intentional ministry to widows and single moms - but I don't see that happening here.

Pathfinder Mission is a "para-church" ministry which means that we "come along side" the local church .. stand in the gap, if you will.  Fill in where the church does not have the capacity to help.  We count it a privilege to be able to do that and believe that God has uniquely shaped us and strategically positioned us to o what we are doing.

Take a look at this link (KHOU Story).  It describes the situation the Mrs. Smith is facing.  She has lost hope, but not her faith. The takeaway from that video is that God provides.  I told Mrs. Smith that God had not forgotten her .. He had heard her cry for help.  (Note:  I actually didn't call people, I sent out an email and am still receiving responses.)  

The roof is only the tip of the iceberg.  After doing an assessment I found many problems that need to be corrected.  I intend to do just that with God's provision of finances and volunteer support.

As Paul Harvey would say "And now for the rest of the story … "  Helping Mrs. Smith has given me opportunity to share with the news reporter.  She has seen how God has provided … you see .. I think you heard the news casters talking about God on the television.  Amazing!

When KHOU asked me to help, I was first told that a corporation was going to provide the funds, she needed to find a reliable roofer - I contacted the roofer that I use. But, when the company found out what the roof would cost .. they backed out … So KHOU called me to say that they were cancelling their request for our help because there was no money … I told the reporter - "don't lose heart …. God will provide" and he did .. in one day …. through the Saints.  That gave me opportunity to talk about the Lord and His faithfulness and to encourage the reporter.  In addition, I have had opportunity to encourage the roofer ..  this is the third house he has helped me with  and he has been watching what is going on .. although he does not say much … he sees … I am confident that the Lord will give me opportunity to lift Jesus up.








No comments: