Friday, June 1, 2018

Resist The Temptation To Hide Behind The Veil Of Feigned Holiness



He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" —Ezekiel 37:3

{CHAMBERS} “Can a sinner be turned into a saint? Can a twisted life be made right? There is only one appropriate answer— “O Lord God, You know” (Ezekiel 37:3). Never forge ahead with your religious common sense and say, “Oh, yes, with just a little more Bible reading, devotional time, and prayer, I see how it can be done.” It is much easier to do something than to trust in God; we see the activity and mistake panic for inspiration. […] We would much rather work for God than believe in Him. Do I really believe that God will do in me what I cannot do? The degree of hopelessness I have for others comes from never realizing that God has done anything for me. Is my own personal experience such a wonderful realization of God’s power and might that I can never have a sense of hopelessness for anyone else I see? Has any spiritual work been accomplished in me at all? The degree of panic activity in my life is equal to the degree of my lack of personal spiritual experience.[…] When God wants to show you what human nature is like separated from Himself, He shows it to you in yourself. If the Spirit of God has ever given you a vision of what you are apart from the grace of God (and He will only do this when His Spirit is at work in you), then you know that in reality there is no criminal half as bad as you yourself could be without His grace. […] “I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells” (Romans 7:18). God’s Spirit continually reveals to His children what human nature is like apart from His grace.”

{ELGIN}  No one, except God, knows you like you do.  I am referring to the things that remain unrevealed to others.  I think most if not all of us prefer that people believe we are more spiritual than we really are.  We can behave really well on Sunday mornings .. for an hour or so anyway.  Most  of us struggle to be more righteous in our thinking and doing.  We learn to be content with our current level of sanctification.  It’s the best we can do!  It’s our old nature at work in us.  A constant struggle.  During the great revivals it was not uncommon for people to publicly confess their sins having come under great conviction by the Holy Spirit.  (John 16:8-9) “When he (the Holy Spirit) comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: about sin, because people do not believe in me (Jesus);”  For that to have happened publicly there must first come conviction and brokenness privately.  When we hide behind a veil of feigned holiness, fearful that people will reject us if they really knew what we are made of, we cripple the new man.  I am not suggesting that we stand on a street corner and shout out every sin … but I am encouraging you to not let the fear of what men may think of keeping you from submitting to the conviction of the Spirit and confessing your sins to the Father.  Don’t show more respect or fear for men than you do for the Father.  (Matthew 10:28) “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”  (Psalm 118:6) “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”  To do that requires faith … faith that comes from your pursuit after God.

No comments: