Thursday, November 17, 2016

Do You Treat God Like The Maytag Repairman?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
By Myself I have sworn, says the Lord, because you have done this thing…I will bless you… —Genesis 22:16-17
 
“God’s revelation of Himself to me is influenced by my character, not by God’s character.[…] It is through the discipline of obedience that I get to the place where Abraham was and I see who God is. God will never be real to me until I come face to face with Him in Jesus Christ. […] The promises of God are of no value to us until, through obedience, we come to understand the nature of God. We may read some things in the Bible every day for a year and they may mean nothing to us. Then, because we have been obedient to God in some small detail, we suddenly see what God means and His nature is instantly opened up to us. “All the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen…” (2 Corinthians 1:20). Our “Yes” must be born of obedience.” CHAMBERS
 
When Lot and his wife left the city of Sodom before its destruction, it was for their benefit that God sent them out.  Yet, Lot’s wife regretted leaving, turned to look back and paid the price.  (Genesis 19:26)  When the young man said that he wanted to obey and follow Jesus but there were pressing earthly matters that he must tend to, Jesus rebuked him. (Luke 9:59)  Those examples are for our benefit.  Our tendency is to trust in our own wisdom.  To yield to our own devotions and desires.  Even when we know what we hear is right.  I would get really frustrated when my children would seek advice and then do something else, only to suffer the consequences. If we are not seeking God and looking to Him that is what we will do.  We will reject the best for something much less because our devotion is in something other than God.  God will not stop us from rejecting Him.  We are free to mess our lives up. But oh what blessings we miss.  I eventually had to resolve that all I can do is give my best advice and it my children reject it, then they must deal with the consequences and I will not help them “fix” whatever calamity ensues from their poor choices.  For most people, they don’t repent, but merely regret their choice didn’t work and seek ways to not suffer the consequences.  God has a fix for those consequences, His name is Jesus.  When we turn form God, and then repent, our sins are forgiven, but we must deal with the consequences.  For many people, they would prefer that God not forgive the sins, just fix the consequences.  Sound like a perversion of faith?  It is.  We treat God like the Maytag repairman.  “Stay out of my life until I break something and then fix it. I will call you we I need you.”  Lord forgive us.  ELGIN
 
I Need Thee Every Hour  ERNEST J. FORD, HARRY GELLER
 
I need thee every hour Most gracious Lord No tender voice like thine Can peace afford
I need thee, oh I need thee Every hour I need thee Oh bless me now my savior I come to thee

No comments: