Thursday, September 8, 2016

The Danger Of Believing "I Can Do It Myself"

My Utmost For His Highest
 
…casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God… —2 Corinthians 10:5
 
“… there are other things that have to be destroyed through violence, that is, through God’s divine strength imparted by His Spirit. […] But every theory or thought that raises itself up as a fortified barrier “against the knowledge of God” is to be determinedly demolished by drawing on God’s power, not through human effort or by compromise (see 2 Corinthians 10:4). It is only when God has transformed our nature and we have entered into the experience of sanctification that the fight begins. The warfare is not against sin; we can never fight against sin— Jesus Christ conquered that in His redemption of us. The conflict is waged over turning our natural life into a spiritual life. This is never done easily, nor does God intend that it be so. […] we have to turn that innocence into holy character through the moral choices we make. These choices are continually opposed and hostile to the things of our natural life which have become so deeply entrenched— the very things that raise themselves up as fortified barriers “against the knowledge of God.” We can either turn back, making ourselves of no value to the kingdom of God, or we can determinedly demolish these things, allowing Jesus to bring another son to glory (see Hebrews 2:10).” CHAMBERS
 
There are about 31,100 verses in the Bible.  I can recall or reference less than 100.  But those 100 verses have had a profound impact on my life. And so I find that I share them frequently in these writings.  I was talking to a good friend yesterday, about these devotions.  I told him that I read MUFHH and then ask God, “What would you have me say?” And then words come through my fingers onto the screen.  Just like today.  My point is that if I write anything that encourages you in your faith, give God the glory.
 
(2 Corinthians 5:17)  “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.”  In times past when I have referenced that verse, it has been in the context of conversion.  Being born again (John 3:3)  But there is more than that.  The “new things” are spiritual not natural.  The “new things” are a reflection, evidence, of my new life in Christ.  If you find that the old things are lingering, and all of us have that struggle, then it is because you have yet to yield that to the Spirit in you.  I was thinking about one of our grandchildren.  When they were very small, they would say “I can do it myself!”  We thought it was cute then. 
 
Well today as they struggle in life because they still want to “do it their self”  it is not cute, but rather it is heart breaking.  We all struggle with wanting to define our spiritual space.  But it is not ours to define.  (Galatians 2:20) “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”  It is no longer me, but Christ.  When I try to make it me, I push the Lord aside. I quench the influence of the Spirit, who powers my spiritual nature. If you know someone who is struggling with letting God reign in their new life, I don’t think that your words will make much of a difference to them.  It is only when are ready to yield their will to the Lord, will they have ears to hear and hearts to receive the truth.  Same goes for the rest of us.  ELGIN

No comments: