Friday, September 23, 2016

How To Respond When You Love Someone And Get No Gratitude In Return

My Utmost For His Highest
 
He…said to them, "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem…" —Luke 18:31
 
““A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master” (Matthew 10:24). In other words, the same things that happened to our Lord will happen to us on our way to our “Jerusalem.” There will be works of God exhibited through us, people will get blessed, and one or two will show gratitude while the rest will show total ingratitude, but nothing must divert us from going “up to [our] Jerusalem.””  CHAMBERS
 
I saw a post on Facebook that said “you’ll end up real disappointed if you think people will do for you as you do for them.  Not everyone has the same heart as you.”  (Matthew 22:37-39) says love God and love others.  It is not a conditional love for others.  The love we show toward others is motivated out of our love for God.  (1 John 4:19) “We love because He [God] first loved us.”  The problem we have is that often times we love others so they will love us back.  That is a dysfunctional relationship and almost always leads to heartbreak.  Men and women desperate for love will often develop relationships that are unhealthy out of hope that in the midst of what is not right about the relationship they might find love.  And if that relationship does not yield what they long for, they try another one.  But what they long for will never be found where they are looking.
 
On the other hand, people serve others expecting gratitude from those served and become bitter when gratitude doesn’t come. Perhaps to the point bitter to the point of becoming angry with God and stop doing what they have been called to do.  If you want affirmation that you have value.  If you want to know that you are loved.  Stop looking around and look up.  ELGIN
 
How Deep The Father’s Love For Us  Stewart Townshend
 
How deep the Father's love for us,  How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son  To make a wretch His treasure
 
How great the pain of searing loss,  The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,  Bring many sons to glory
 
Behold the Man upon a cross,  My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,  Call out among the scoffers
 
It was my sin that left Him there  Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life  I know that it is finished
 
I will not boast in anything  No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ  His death and resurrection
 
Why should I gain from His reward?  I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart  His wounds have paid my ransom

No comments: