Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Why Is It So Hard ToTake Hold Of God's Hand?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. —John 13:17
 
“If you yourself do not cut the lines that tie you to the dock, God will have to use a storm to sever them and to send you out to sea. Put everything in your life afloat upon God, going out to sea on the great swelling tide of His purpose, and your eyes will be opened. If you believe in Jesus, you are not to spend all your time in the calm waters just inside the harbor, full of joy, but always tied to the dock. You have to get out past the harbor into the great depths of God, and begin to know things for yourself— begin to have spiritual discernment. When you know that you should do something and you do it, immediately you know more. Examine where you have become sluggish, where you began losing interest spiritually, and you will find that it goes back to a point where you did not do something you knew you should do.”  CHAMBERS
 
Is to possible that God will allow calamity in your life to draw you close to Himself? How do you know when it’s God that has brought a storm, when it is the fact that you live in a fallen world, or it’s merely a consequence of your own disobedience?  You may not.  But in each case there is but one solution, turn to God.  We live complicated lives.  Our lives are interwoven with relationships, experiences, and personal choices that can and very often do become very messy.  We can become weighted down with the cares of this world.  Bringing on feelings of hopelessness and desperation.  One bad choice leads to another.  We know the answer but stubbornly refuse to take hold of it.  There is a painting by Michelangelo in the Cysteine Chapel named “The Creation of Adam”.  It depicts God and Adam reaching out toward one another, but their hands not touching.  That is the picture I have in my mind when I think of our response to God.  God reaching out His hand, and our refusing to take hold of it.  What is it that holds us back?  Self-will? Guilt? A believe that you can never be forgiven?  A determination to prove yourself?  Jesus said “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) What is it that is keeping you from taking hold of God’s hand?  CHARLEY
 
“Jesus Hold My Hand”
 
“As I travel through this pilgrim land,  There is a friend who walks with me,  Leads me safely through the sinking sand,  It is the Christ at Calvary
 
This would be my prayer, dear Lord, each day,  You help me do the best I can,  For I need Thy light to guide me day and night,  Blessed Jesus, hold my hand
 
Jesus, hold my hand,  For I need Thee every hour,  Through this pilgrim land,  Protect me by Thy power
 
Hear my feeble plea,  O Lord, look down on me,  When I kneel in prayer,  I hope to meet You there,  Blessed Jesus, hold my hand”

No comments: