Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Spending Time In The Kitchen When You Want To Be In The Living Room

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Also…add to your faith… —2 Peter 1:5
 
“No one is born either naturally or supernaturally with character; it must be developed. Nor are we born with habits— we have to form godly habits on the basis of the new life God has placed within us. We are not meant to be seen as God’s perfect, bright-shining examples, but to be seen as the everyday essence of ordinary life exhibiting the miracle of His grace. Drudgery is the test of genuine character. The greatest hindrance in our spiritual life is that we will only look for big things to do. Yet, “Jesus…took a towel and…began to wash the disciples’ feet…” (John 13:3-5). […] The routine of life is actually God’s way of saving us between our times of great inspiration which come from Him. Don’t always expect God to give you His thrilling moments, but learn to live in those common times of the drudgery of life by the power of God.[…] I must realize that my obedience even in the smallest detail of life has all of the omnipotent power of the grace of God behind it. If I will do my duty, not for duty’s sake but because I believe God is engineering my circumstances, then at the very point of my obedience all of the magnificent grace of God is mine through the glorious atonement by the Cross of Christ.” CHAMBERS
 
Brother Lawrence, was a lay brother in the Discalced Carmelite Priory in Paris. Despite his lowly position in life and the priory (a small monastery), his character attracted many to him. He had a reputation for experiencing profound peace and visitors came to seek spiritual guidance from him. The wisdom he passed on to them, in conversations and in letters, would later become the basis for the book, The Practice of the Presence of God. He spent many years, over 15 years, doing what he preferred not to do, work in the kitchen, and yet he had a profound spiritual impact on many people. He did not allow his circumstances to sway his practice of being in God’s presence all of the time.  Paul wrote, (Philippians 4:11-13) “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
 
All too often we will quote verse 13, but what are the “all things” ?  You must read verses 11 and 12.  We cannot be “spiritual” or be a spiritual influence by our own doing.  We find our satisfaction in Christ and not our circumstances.  It really doesn’t matter what we must endure.  Christ is sufficient in all things.  We are able to shine in darkness because of our relationship with God.  Our relationship to God should not be dependent upon the lack of darkness.  What is the “kitchen” that God has you in?  Are you spending your time trying to plan your escape or are you letting God use that time to continue to shape you and use you for His purpose? We all know what the “spiritually correct” answer is.  But you and God both know the truth.  (John 16:33) “These things have I [Jesus] spoken to you.  In the world you will have tribulation [kitchens], but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”  God has me in a kitchen right now.  I have a choice.  I must remind myself daily that I follow the Lord and my trust is in Him.  The daily, hour by hour, minute by minute commitment is what makes it a practice.  CHARLEY
 
Where He Leads Me
 
“I can hear my Savior calling,  I can hear my Savior calling,  I can hear my Savior calling, “Take thy cross and follow, follow Me.”
 
Where He leads me I will follow,  Where He leads me I will follow,  Where He leads me I will follow;  I’ll go with Him, with Him, all the way.”

No comments: