Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Cost Of Following Jesus

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘A lack of progress in our spiritual life results when we try to bear all the costs [the cost of my saying yes to God] ourselves. And actually, we cannot. Because we are so involved in the universal purposes of God, others are immediately affected by our obedience to Him. Will we remain faithful in our obedience to God and be willing to suffer the humiliation of refusing to be independent? Or will we do just the opposite and say, “I will not cause other people to suffer”? We can disobey God if we choose, and it will bring immediate relief to the situation, but it will grieve our Lord. If, however, we obey God, He will care for those who have suffered the consequences of our obedience. We must simply obey and leave all the consequences with Him. Beware of the inclination to dictate to God what consequences you would allow as a condition of your obedience to Him.’ CHAMBERS
 
A man said to Jesus, “first let me go bury my father” Matthew 8:21  Jesus said “If anyone follows me they must deny themselves .. pick up “their” cross … and [then] follow Me” Luke 9:23.  When we choose to follow God’s call, it will cost us something .. relationships, worldly things, plans for our future … When I was in the military I had a 5 and 10 year plan for my career with two or three alternatives. I had no real control over it, but I had a pretty good idea what would or should happen.  God has a plan and purpose for us … but He only lets us see as far as the next step.  We have to trust Him.  To follow Him means to trust and to be willing to lay down everything.
 
It may mean that you miss special times with your family … you miss your grandchildren growing up.  Would God ask you to do that? It might mean that you are not there when your father is buried.  Not everyone is willing to pay that cost.  The rewards are great .. eternally .. but the personal cost is also great for you and for the ones you love.  Are you willing to lay your life down for God?  You don’t have to go to a foreign country to do it …
 
“Knowing You”
 
“All I once held dear, built my life upon.  All this world reveres and wars to own.  All I once thought gain, I have counted loss. Spent and worthless now, compared to this.  Knowing You, Jesus.  Knowing You.  There is no greater thing.”
 
There is no greater thing …
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: