Friday, February 15, 2013

You've got to .. Go where you want to go .. Do what you want to do. Really?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
None of us lives to himself . . . —Romans 14:7
 
Has it ever dawned on you that you are responsible spiritually to God for other people? For instance, if I allow any turning away from God in my private life, everyone around me suffers. We “sit together in the heavenly places . . .” (Ephesians 2:6). “If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it . . .” (1 Corinthians 12:26). If you allow physical selfishness, mental carelessness, moral insensitivity, or spiritual weakness, everyone in contact with you will suffer. But you ask, “Who is sufficient to be able to live up to such a lofty standard?” “Our sufficiency is from God . . .” and God alone (2 Corinthians 3:5).’ CHAMBERS
When my mom became a Christian in 1969, none of the older children, the ones who were grown ... including me, really believed that she had changed.  We heard her words, but remembered what she had been like in the past. But as we watched her, we saw a new person.  The new life she lived had an effect on all of us.  People can pretend to be one way in front of other people for a short time.  But eventually they will drift back to who they really are.  Family members know all too well who they really are.  Our mom had a spiritual responsibility.  Her fulfilling that responsibility is, in part, why my wife and I are on the mission field today.
 
In the same we have a spiritual responsibility toward others.  God wants to use us as salt and light to draw others to Himself.  (Matthew 5:13-16) Does it matter what you do … what you say … how you live? You betcha! I have a problem with self-focus if I say .. I am not my brother’s keeper.  I am not responsible for anyone else.  I can do what I want and it won’t have an effect on anyone else.  Do you know what that is called … “a lie from hell”.
 
1 Corinthians 8:9-13  But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?  And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?  But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.  Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.”
 
Paul was saying that even behavior that is OK before God should be avoided if it causes a Brother to stumble.  That is taking our Christian life to a whole new level.  Are you willing to go there?
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: