Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shine for Jesus

My Utmost For His Highest


“Has it ever dawned on you that you are responsible spiritually to God for other people? For instance, if I allow any turning away from God in my private life, everyone around me suffers. We “sit together in the heavenly places . . .” (Ephesians 2:6). “If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it . . .” (1 Corinthians 12:26). If you allow physical selfishness, mental carelessness, moral insensitivity, or spiritual weakness, everyone in contact with you will suffer. But you ask, “Who is sufficient to be able to live up to such a lofty standard?” “Our sufficiency is from God . . .” and God alone (2 Corinthians 3:5).” CHAMBERS

Well that is pretty ‘heavy’ isn’t it.  When I first read that, I immediately started thinking of reasons why that was not true.  Or why I don’t want it to be true.  I don’t want to think that my failings would impact other people. Especially impact people I care deeply about.  My mom did not want to hear me say that .. I belevie because it made her feel guilty.  That is not my intent … but helping you understand Biblical Truth is my intent.   And the truth is the truth. (You can quote me if you like!) There are many examples in the Bible .. God showing us the principle.  If you want to take it to a grand scale, how did my sin affect God?  He sent His Son to the cross for my sin. 

The bible describes how the sins of the fathers are visited upon the third and fourth generations … … How does that heppen?  Dr. James Dobson said that our values are not taught they are ‘caught’.  In other words, our children watch what we do, not what we say we do.  They see what we allow .. not what we preach against.  An example … you tell your child ‘Don’t lie’ then you ask, ‘Who is it on the phone?  (It is someone you don’t want to talk to)  Tell them I am not home.’  Now how could that be harmful?  The lesson that was just caught, ‘if it is inconvenient, it’s OK to lie.’ My dad told me not to smoke cigarettes as he lit one up.  What do you think the message I received was?


So as parents, we are held to a high standard … frankly if I didn’t want that responsibility I should not have become a parent.  I must add, that is not to say that our children are not responsible for their own sin … we are all individually responsible to God.  But think about this, why is there a law about contributing to the delinquency of a minor if influencing the lives of others in the wrong direction is not a problem? 

But, in the midst of this realization, I take hope and find comfort in knowing that even in my weakness and failings, all is not lost … there is a Redeemer, Jesus Christ, who can intervene in my life and the lives of those I have influenced.  He can restore .. give life … make us whole … wash away the past and give us a future that we never imagined … He is just waiting for the invitation.  My encouragement to you, don’t just tell others about Jesus (but do tell them) … live the life and let them see Jesus  (Matthew 5:16)  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Let’s influence the third and fourth generations for Him


Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: