Saturday, February 4, 2012

January 2012 Update

Greetings from Jacmel Haiti.


 
Martie and I have been in Jacmel since the 28th of January.  It is good to be where God wants us.  I have shared this before, but while we were in Mississippi, someone asked if we ‘liked’ being in Mississippi.  At the time I thought it was an odd question, but on reflection I answered … “There is nothing better than being in the center of God’s will for your life; geography really has nothing to do with it.”  That is what they call an axiom … it is a starting point of truth from which other truths flow.

We continue to serve alongside Children’s Hope staff as we build the orphanage in Jacmel.  That is not without its challenges.  What we have is a couple who knows a good bit about a lot of things but also have a very good understanding that this is a spiritual quest and not the work of man.  Martie and I are in the deep end of the pool without our water wings … but when we look up we see our Father standing at the edge with His eyes fixed on us.  We are so thankful He doesn’t just toss us in the pool and walk off! 

One of the challenges has been to ensure that the sanitation system is adequate to support the number of children that Children’s Hope wants to take in after the construction is completed.  While I was in Alabama in January I met with several ‘experts’ and enlisted the assistance from men who have experience in excavation and sanitation systems.  I know more about septic tanks and how they work that I ever thought I would! 

Martie will be here with me for the month of February.  Jessica is in California while Martie is here.  We have some wonderful friends who are ministering to us by hosting Jessica … actually doing more than that … treating her like family.  God is Good – Bondye Bon. 

While we are in Elmore County, we are attending Santuck Baptist Church.  Pastor Gary Miller is leading an Experiencing God study and I was able to sit in on a couple of sessions and brought the book and videos with me to finish here.  We first studied Experiencing God in the early 90’s.  It was catalytic for us ... Launching us into a life of ministry that we had never imagined.   Blackaby says that we should “adjust our lives to God and pursue the kind of relationship in which you follow Him wherever He leads us…”  

My first project when I returned to Jacmel was not the septic system though, it was building a chicken coop for the orphanage so the children can have eggs in their diet– I am so thankful for Google.  Through the power of the internet,  I now understand the planning considerations necessary for chicken coops as well as septic systems.  A regular renaissance man.  Or not!



We are praying that we will have opportunity to build into the lives of the Haitians in the spiritual context as well as the physical of building an orphanage.

When we arrived one of the first things I heard was, there are a lot of Haitian men asking for you .. looking for work.  So the word is out!  If you want work .. talk to Pastor Charley. (The Haitians use Pastor as a distinction for those who are ordained .. not so much in the stricter definition that we use in the U.S.) With 80% unemployment in Haiti there is desperation in their eyes and in their voices.  I believe that same desperation is in their hearts.  When John Turnbull and Doug Moyer were here with me last December, we did a skit for the children based on Acts 3:1-11 .. Peter healing the lame man … “Silver and gold have I none, but what I have I give you in the name of Jesus of Nazareth…”  Offering a job is important, but offering life through Jesus is even more important.

We received a donation last month that will purchase 10 Haitian Creole Bibles.  As many of you know we distributed hundreds of Bibles in Mississippi and plan to continue that here in Haiti.  What rekindled that idea is this.  Last fall I was riding with Junior, our Tap-tap driver, and noticed a New Testament (in English) on the dash.  Knowing he does not read English I told him I noticed his Bible at which his face broke out in a broad smile.  He was proud of his Bible even though he could not read it.  How much more would he rejoice with a Bible he can read.  It is not my intent to teach him my language but to learn his … I am in his country, he is not in mine!

 Prayer Requests

Although we are not pressed to leave the home we are in, at some point we will need to find another place to call home while we are in the States.

We must sell the properties (our home and the mission house) in Mississippi.  A friend in Waveland has agreed to work with a Real Estate Agent to get them listed.  God will provide.

We still lack the funds to purchase the block press that we want to use in Jacmel.  The total cost of purchase, shipping and importing the block press from India to Haiti is $8000.  Rather than delay the construction, we intend to start building with conventional blocks and improved construction methods. 

Transportation costs to Haiti are about $1000 per trip per person.  Between Martie and me, we will make 7 to 8 trips in 2012.

Our Health Insurance costs continue to increase every year. 

Martie’s hip is really challenging her mobility.  Please pray for healing.  She plans to see another doctor next month for a second opinion.

We want to expand our spiritual impact in Jacmel. We are not completely sure about the scope of that so we are asking God for clarity.

Support for our ministry.  It takes money to do what we do.  God has been faithful to provide what we need when we need it, but He always provides through believers.  Either corporately through local churches or through individuals and families.  Pray about how you might help us reach out to the people of Haiti. For more information go to our web site …


 Pathfinder Mission

P.O. Box 240185

Eclectic, AL 36024

www.pathfindermission.org

 Bondye Beni Nou (God Bless You All)

No comments: