Friday, February 24, 2012

Flourishing for God

My Utmost For His Highest

I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls . . . —2 Corinthians 12:15

“Once “the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit,” we deliberately begin to identify ourselves with Jesus Christ’s interests and purposes in others’ lives (Romans 5:5). And Jesus has an interest in every individual person. We have no right in Christian service to be guided by our own interests and desires. In fact, this is one of the greatest tests of our relationship with Jesus Christ. The delight of sacrifice is that I lay down my life for my Friend, Jesus (see John 15:13). I don’t throw my life away, but I willingly and deliberately lay it down for Him and His interests in other people. And I do this for no cause or purpose of my own. Paul spent his life for only one purpose— that he might win people to Jesus Christ. Paul always attracted people to his Lord, but never to himself. He said, “I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some” (1 Corinthians 9:22).”  CHAMBERS

You know, if there is one regret that I have, it is that the Lord did not call us to this ministry when we were 20 years younger, but as I read Psalm 92 this morning I was reminded that He is the Potter and we are the clay in the Potter’s hand. (Psalm 92:12-15) 12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; 13 planted in the house of the LORD, they will flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, 15 proclaiming, “The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.” 

I praise the Lord that He is able to use an ‘old jar’ for His purpose.  In the ‘Our Daily Bread’ devotion  today, David Roper asks the question “Do you think your usefulness to God is over? Continue in God’s Word, rooted and grounded in Christ, drinking in His love and faithfulness. Then, no matter your age, you will bear fruit and be “fresh and flourishing”  

We place limits on ourselves ..  ‘Oh God can’t use me now … not after I have failed Him or not since I am not young any more .. or … well you can finish the excuse.  Hear me … there is nothing so great that God is not greater … God used murderers, thieves, liars, adulterers, prostitutes, self-righteous, poor, rich, young and ‘old’ people to accomplish His purposes … Am I saying that God will use you and ignore your sin?, No! But He will forgive your sin and use you.  Don’t think that your circumstances limit God … Turn your heart back to Him, seek Him out … be restored and flourish in His courts … and watch the fruit spring from your branches as you draw deeply from the Vine …

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: