Friday, January 17, 2014

It Is Not The Knowing It Is The Going

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘The call of God is an expression of His nature; the service which results in my life is suited to me and is an expression of my nature. […] Service is the overflow which pours from a life filled with love and devotion. But strictly speaking, there is no call to that. Service is what I bring to the relationship and is the reflection of my identification with the nature of God. Service becomes a natural part of my life. God brings me into the proper relationship with Himself so that I can understand His call, and then I serve Him on my own out of a motivation of absolute love. Service to God is the deliberate love-gift of a nature that has heard the call of God. Service is an expression of my nature, and God’s call is an expression of His nature. Therefore, when I receive His nature and hear His call, His divine voice resounds throughout His nature and mine and the two become one in service.’ CHAMBERS
 
To answer the call of God requires faith and action.  God has shaped you for service.  It may be as a mom staying at home to raise a family in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.  It could be as a missionary in some foreign land.  Whatever it is, your service is a gift to God.  Your obedience is the test of your love.  I tell the students in our Experiencing God class .. “it is not in the knowing .. it’s in the going”.  We all know what God wants us to do .. the question is, will we do it .. or will we say “no” to God and flee to Tarshish like Jonah did?  We can do that by choosing to not live the life God has called us to .. but going another way.  Another thing I tell them is the “God is not at work because of our service, but we are serving because God is at work.”  God is at work all around us.  Be who God intended you to be and be fulfilled.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: