Life Is But A Vapor

 He remembered that they were but flesh, a wind that passes and comes not again. - Psalm 78-39

When I was a freshman in college [ before I met Jesus on the road] - no we were not using lanterns for light! - I wrote a paper in sociology 101 about the tension of the free enterprise systems and social reform in our country.  In their extremes they are juxtaposed to each other.  There is a tension - not unhealthy one. Really it is sort of symbiotic. Without revenue - money -  the social programs cannot be funded. Without social programs the country would not be able to provide workers to support the free enterprise system. I realize that is a simplistic description of what is going on in our country. But there is a balance that must be maintained for our system to work. It is not perfect, but seems to be better than most in the world.  

Having said that - as Christians - we are not socialist - per se - but we are to be more people oriented that money oriented. If we are affluent we have a responsibility toward those who are less affluent. Two verse segments come to mind. Matthew 25 - the sheep and the goats. They sheep and the goats asked King Jesus the same question - "Lord when did we see you?" To the Sheep he answered "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." and to the Goats the King will say, "Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me."  And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

The sheep were focused on others and the goats were focused on themselves.  The other verses in Luke 12:16-21

And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

So what does this have to do with life being a vapor. "A wind passes and does not come again". We have one shot at this mortal life. We can live like sheep or goats. Any guess which one the rich man was.  Affluence can be a good or bad thing. It depends upon the affluent persons attitude and understanding why they are affluent. A hint, it is not merely for their benefit or so they can live in a bigger house or go on another cruise.  Neither of those thing are in and of themselves evil - but what will Jesus say to you when you ask Him the question - Lord when did we see you?

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments:

Life Is But A Vapor

 He remembered that they were but flesh, a wind that passes and comes not again . - Psalm 78-39 When I was a freshman in college [ before I ...