Monday, September 2, 2024

Slip Slidin' Away

"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called today," - Hebrews 3:13

My wife and I tease about the fact that simple conversations can spark my brain to recall a song - sometimes as far back as grade school that supports the context of our conversation. I wish that were true for remembering people's names! I was thinking about all of the wonderful Christians that we have met over the years - hundreds. Many of those people have had a significant impact on our lives - but the passing of time had eroded our connection with them - to our regret. That is when the Paul Simon song "Slip Slidin' Away" came to mind. "Slip slidin' away, slip slidin' away. You know the nearer your destination the more you're slip slidin' away" 

And that is when I thought about Hebrews 3:13 and the people we know or knew. Some have passed but most have not. I think that if I told many of them that I was thankful for the impact they had on my spiritual walk, they would be surprised to know that. I recall some time ago; someone I had not seen for many years thanked me for the encouragement I had been to him - I was surprised and at a loss frankly. My influence had not been intentional on my part. I had not "targeted" him, if you will, to disciple Him - but whatever I did or said unintentionally impacted his life. 

"Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Our light is not a laser beam but more like that of a lantern - illuminating the space it occupies at the moment. The light of others has shown on all of us - encouraged us - built us up - unbeknownst (love that word!) to the one who was casting the light of Life.

So what does all of this have to do with Paul Simon's song. I have become aware, of late, that I am getting older - yes, it's true! I am. I have past the tipping point in my life where there is more life on this planet behind me than there is ahead of me. Time and opportunity are slip slidin' away. I need to let those people who have encouraged me in my faith know that they have encouraged me. And in doing so - encourage them just as my friend encouraged me so many years ago.

"... encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

These BLOG posts are meant to encourage you - but they are not personal - meaning, they are not specifically directed at a person. They are not a laser beam but light from a lantern. Reflect on those who have been a positive influence on your life and let them know - a phone call, email, text, or maybe a personal conversation - time is slip slidin' away.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone 


No comments: