Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Doing What You Don't Want To Do

“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. .... For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. .... So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.” - Romans 7:15-23

In Romans 7, Paul described his and our conflict between the flesh and spirit. As we live our new life in Christ – we continue to struggle with our sin nature.  We all have hurts, habits, and hang-ups that are rooted in our old nature and the inescapable fact is that we still live in a fallen world. We continue to do the very things we know we should not do and often feel helpless to stop doing those things.  Even though we know that what we do is contrary to our new nature and the will of God we feel a compulsion to yield to our flesh.  We want so badly to have things set aright, but can’t seem to let go of our old habits and thinking instead of choosing to grab ahold of God.

In the same way that I may want someone else, my children for example, to make the right choices – to change the direction of their life, but I can’t make them do it.  They must decide that they will – take the leap – and go in a new direction – trust in God and not themselves.  Victory over our sin nature is by the power of God and not our will or should I say, won't power. Maybe you know someone in the same struggle.  If you do – pray for them – encourage them – don’t preach to them.  More than likely they already know what to do – they just don’t have enough trust to make the leap of faith.  Or maybe you are that someone.  I don’t know your struggles, but God does.  I pray that in the midst of your struggle, you will find comfort and strength and peace and confidence in Him.  

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone 


No comments: