Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Who Is The Boss Of Me?

"The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith." - Matthew 8:8-10

I have always loved this account of the centurion and Jesus. As a soldier, the centurion understood authority and recognized those who had legitimate authority.  Authority is the power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge. In the military, we are taught that you can delegate authority but not responsibility. Jesus was given all authority by God the Father. The Father delegated the authority to the Son, but the Father retained His sovereignty - responsibility if you will. The centurion recognized that authority and submitted to it.

"I [Paul] pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way." - Ephesians 1:18-23

Jesus has all authority over us. So like those under the authority of the centurion, when Jesus says "‘Go,’ ... we go; and, ‘Come,’ and we come. When God says to his servants, ‘Do this,’ and we do it.” Right. I mean isn't how that you respond to God? No question - no grumbling - just obedience - right? Or not. 

 “If you love me [Jesus], keep my commands." - John 14:15

Obedience is proof of our love for God. If we have an obedience problem, it is because we have a love problem. When I joined the Army, I took an oath of allegiance. To support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic and to obey the orders of the President and the officers appointed over me. I made a solid promise to submit to the lawful authority of my superiors. The Army held me to that oath - even to the point where my disobedience could result in a court martial.  

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God." - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Do you remember when you were saved? Do you know what it was that you committed to on that day when you swore your allegiance by faith to God? To submit to God as the supreme authority over your life.  Did you mean it? 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: