Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Patronized For Your Faith

"But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth." - Colossians 3:8

Has anyone ever patronized you because of your faith? You know, they act differently, speak differently, when you are around because they think you are religious? I was trying to think of an appropriate verse to launch this devotion and settled on Colossians 3:8. It is close, but not exactly what I was looking for. To my point. I was talking to someone yesterday and they asked me if I would read something and give them comment. But, they cautioned me saying there was some profanity in the writing.  I told them that it would not the first time that I would be exposed to profane words (filthy language). In fact, there was a time that I was a master of them. Profane words were an integral part of my vocabulary. 

Well, that conversation got me thinking about how people, who commonly use profanity, try not to use it in my presence. Trying to be respectful, I suppose, but missing the point. People I encounter everyday, family, friends, even acquaintances, who are not born again, and perhaps some that are, and who know me as being a Christian, make an  effort to not offend me with profanity in their conversations. I suppose they see me as "religious" and want to show their respect for religious people. At least I know that is what I would do before I met Jesus "on the road". 

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:16-17

What they don't understand is that I was once walking in their shoes. That if they see anything different in me that would cause them to show restraint, it is because of Christ in me. Not because I have chosen to be a "good" person. I think about how many years I was around people of faith, but my heart was not drawn to their faith. I thought I understood their being different from me was a life choice, not a result of spiritual transformation. The fact was I was incapable of understanding the real reason for their difference.

"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." - 1 Corinthians 2:14

Those people I mentioned don't understand because they have not been sealed by the Spirit of God by faith in Jesus. That conversation yesterday, reminded me that there is a much bigger issue than profanity at work. Their eternal destiny that is at stake. They can only see life through the natural. They are incapable of understanding why I am the way that I am. It is Christ in me. It makes me sad frankly. But I know there is hope. Hope because, like them, I was once lost but now, by the grace of God, I am found. Was blind but now I see. Amazing grace. If you are given the chance to be a stepping stone on the path to salvation for them, then be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in you.

"... sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear" - 1 Peter 3:15

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: