Friday, September 2, 2022

Love - God's Artistic Expression

"Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 'Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?' Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.'” - Matthew 22:35-39

I was wondering what I would write about for tomorrow's devotion. Today I took Martie to the Van Gogh : Immersive Experience, downtown. She is reading a book about Van Gough's life. I knew about his ear being cut off, but that was about it. So what did I learn? His dad was a Dutch Reformed Church Pastor (think John Calvin). He grew up in the Netherlands he developed a fervent faith, and a passion for ministry. He wanted to study theology, but failing the seminary entrance exam, he instead became a missionary to coal miners in Belgium. Vincent wrote to a friend: 'Christ alone, of all the philosophers, magicians, etc., has affirmed eternal life as the most important certainty, the infinity of time, the futility of death, the necessity and purpose of serenity and devotion. He [Jesus] lived serenely, as an artist greater than all other artists, scorning marble and clay and paint, working in the living flesh.' Vincent had escalating mental problems that plagued him throughout his adult life and may have eventually led to his untimely death. So I ask you, is it possible for a "true" Christian to follow such an unstable path? - Think about that! You can add a comment with your opinion if you like - preferring scriptural support.

I saw a number of quotes by Van Gogh displayed at the showing. A couple in particular caught my eye, but one, specifically, will help me get to the point of this devotion. (and I hear everyone sigh a sigh of relief!) 

“There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. ― Vincent Van Gogh

Just think about that in the context of the two greatest commandments in Matthew 22. The love we have for God is of a Spiritual nature and out of that love relationship flowers love for others. God is so creative - artistic, if you will.  His creativity, fully expressed, is Agape love. 9We tend to give God credit for the beauty in nature - but frankly, that pales in comparison to love.) And so the supreme artistic expression for Christians is loving other people. Which we can only do when we fully embrace God with all of our being - with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away." - 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: