Sunday, September 25, 2022

Following Jesus

"And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." - Luke 9:23-24

As I have prepared to lead the Experiencing God lessons, I have been reminded of what it means to follow Jesus. Salvation is the beginning. It is a spiritual awakening. Certainly eternal life and escaping eternal damnation is significant, but there is that "taking up the cross daily". What exactly is that all about?

A Hellfire missile is what is known as "fire and forget". Once the missile is launched from the aircraft, it tracks to the target using laser energy not a pilot looking through optics until impact.  Once fired, the pilot can focus on another target or task. We can be tempted to live out our Christian lives in the same same. We get "saved" and then we can move on to something else. But that is not exactly correct - not if your intent is to follow Jesus. 

God, the Father, gave Jesus a mission. Go to earth and save the people from their sins and sin's eternal consequences. He did not say, "Let me know when you get it done." I am not being flippant here. My point is that at no point was Jesus ever acting independently from the Father. 

"Abide in me [Jesus], and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." - John 15:4-11

As Jesus looks to the Father, we look to Jesus who is a reflection of the Father.

"Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.'" - John 14:8-10

In the process of our sanctification, we are being conformed into the image of the Son (Romans 8:29) who is the image of the Father. But sanctification is not like getting a haircut. You make an appointment, sit in the chair, the barber or hair stylist does their thing, and your "do" is done. Instead we are transformed by the renewing of our minds, daily - even moment by moment. We are to be a reflection of the Father through the Son to the glory of the Father and the good of mankind. It requires our daily attention, intention and devotion. Unlike "fire and forget" we must keep our eyes on the target all the way to Heaven.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: