Thursday, March 17, 2022

Saying The Right Thing

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I have the habit of bringing scriptural context into a conversation with other Believers.  Sometimes it is appreciated, sometimes not.  I think the receptiveness of the shared scripture has to do with both the heart of the person sharing and the heart of the person to whom which the scripture is being shared.  

When you share scripture with someone it should be with compassion and the intent that it will fulfill its purpose as doctrine, perhaps reproof, or instruction in righteousness with the intent of equipping the hearer with spiritual perspective.

When someone shares scripture with you you should receive if - no matter what their intent - with acknowledgement of the authority of scripture in your life as a born-again child of God. 

"They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth." - John 17:16-17

I recently wrote about truth. We should always remember when we hear the Word that the Word is Truth. That God gave us scripture for our benefit. It is intended as a balm and not a bitter pill. When we obey the "laws of the land" we generally don't think them as an infringement. As law-abiding citizens, we obey them - well except for posted speed limits as an exception that comes to mind. When reminded of those laws, we don't get irritated at the hearing.  Not so with the Word. The reason - I think - is because we have relegated scripture to the "spiritual" compartment in our lives and have not allowed it to be the standard for our lives. It does not have the place of supremacy, dictating what we do and how we relate to other people.

Let me give you an example. If I am having a conversation with someone and the Spirit brings a scripture to mind and I am prompted to share - I share it. I get mixed reactions. I sometimes have the impression, from the hearer's body language, that it has made them uncomfortable. My intent is to remind and encourage not to use the scripture as a tool of judgement.  My hope is that they will find the scripture I shared to be sweeter than honey.

"How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way." - Psalm 119:103-104

My point to you is this. Share the Word when you are prompted by the Spirit. Don't use it as a weapon or as a last, desperate measure to influence the other person. Scripture spoken without the Spirit are just words.  Spoken with the Spirit, the Word "does not return void". Jesus never balked at sharing scripture in his conversations with others. His intent was always spiritual revelation. As we are being conformed into His image by God the Father, neither should ours be. But a word of caution - If you are not willing to live it yourself - then you should not share it until you are. In that case, perhaps the Spirit has intended those words for you and you should keep them to yourself.

"And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye?" - Matthew 7:3-4

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: