Monday, March 7, 2022

Praying With Confidence and Sincerity Not Profundity

OK, so first let me say that I am not trying to impress you with my command of the English language. I had to look the word, "profundity", up to make certain I was using the right word.  It means "deep insight; great depth of knowledge or thought" Have you ever heard someone pray and think to yourself, "Their prayers sound so great, no way am I going to pray after them!" Or maybe someone prays in King James English as if that is the way God speaks - a heavenly tongue. The reality is that when we are standing before a Holy God we will all most like be speechless. at least I think I will be. So much of our flesh can get in the way of our prayers because of lack of confidence, fear or perhaps pride. 

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’  I [Jesus] tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” - Luke 18:10-14

"God, be merciful to me a sinner" Pretty simple prayer - but notable according to Jesus. God sees the heart and hears the heart of the one praying. Don't worry what others may think of your praying. They are not the focus or should not be the focus of your heart.  Have you ever not prayed out loud for fear of being judged by the others in the room? The fact is that we are all imperfect prayers. I have good news! God has made a way to make up for our shortcomings in prayer - it is the Holy Spirit!

"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God." - Romans 8:26-27

The "Helper" - the Spirit of God by whom we are sealed has our backs! God knew that we would need help living this new life in an old world.  So that we need help with praying, not before men, but God-ward should not surprise you!  

Not only should we pray when we are alone - but we should pray when asked by others and pray when prompted by the Spirit. If someone asks you to pray, it is because they have a need of an advocate - they need help and that would be you.  For Heaven's sake please do not say - I will pray for you later - lest it slip your mind - instead pray then. I have never had anyone refuse, in fact, I often hear what might be a sigh of relief from the one who asked. 

" .. pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." - James 5:16

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: