Monday, January 10, 2022

Refusing The Consequence Of Grace

"... I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:13-14

Do you know someone who has refused the consequence of Grace - meaning forgiveness and restoration - because of guilt from their past? That someone might even be you! I am certain that you are familiar with the explanation of the difference between Grace and Mercy. Grace is getting what we don't deserve, while Mercy is not getting what we do deserve.

So many of us have lived lives that are riddled with regret, brokenness, even guilt. Perhaps relationships that cannot be mended, words that cannot be taken back, actions that were hurtful and harmful - even toward those that we loved.  But God, in His Mercy and Grace has forgiven us - even if the world does not - and restored us to Himself.

I recall a conversation that I had with my mom - before either of us were born again.  My folks were divorced when I was 2 years old. I, along with my three older sisters, lived with wounded hearts, many unanswered questions, and a fear that perhaps, somehow, we were part of the reason that our parents were not married to each other any more. So, one day, I told my mom that I would like to talk to her about how I felt about the divorce.  She became visibly angry - she did that a lot before she met Jesus along the way - and told me that I should not try to make her feel guilty. Now that confused me at the time, but it was revealing later when I better understood the nature of divorce and that children are merely collateral damage - innocent casualties. 

I didn't have a clue that my mom struggled with guilt and perhaps shame, knowing the pain she had caused because of choices she had made. But, thank You Jesus, she learned that there was forgiveness at the foot of the Cross. - Just like I did. That she could put the guilt she carried from her old life behind her. That she was forgiven. The same goes for me and every other one of us that has been born again by faith. It does not mean that we don't have regrets - sadness - but it does mean that we have a new life. I think Galatians best describes the difference - 

"Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."  - Galatians 5:19-25

Sometimes - even though we have a new life in Christ - we can struggle with believing that we have been forgiven by grace and so continue to live under the burden of guilt. Living under Grace is not denial that we were that person and did those things that Paul described in Galatians. But it is acceptance of the Truth that Jesus bore the guilt and consequence for our sin on the Cross. That, by faith, we are free - reconciled - restored to the Creator God.

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." - 2 Corinthians 5:16-21

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: