Friday, September 17, 2021

How To Avoid Trouble

count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” —James 1:2-7

I could make this a really short devotion this morning by just saying, “You can’t avoid it.” But I won’t.  The fact is that everyone must deal with troubles in their lives. It is part and parcel to living in a sinful – sin filled world.  I am certain that you remember the story of Job. His friends were convinced that Job had done something to deserve what happened to him. There must have been sin in his life that was the seed for the trouble he was enduring.  There are certainly consequences for what we and others do and don’t do, but troubles may come your way and you have had nothing to do with why they have come.   

Someone once said “There is no TESTimony (my emphasis) without a test.” Generations have marveled at Job’s faith and resulting endurance.  The source of our ability to endure during the trials in this life spiritual not natural. It is a product of exercised faith – not individual determination, resolve and wit.  Wisdom is understanding and that is from God not from the exercising of the synapse in our brains. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God” I suspect that many of you who are reading this have experienced trials – perhaps like Job – loss of livelihood, homes, family members – it is a long list of possibilities.  When trouble comes – don’t look around – look up.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

You can find peace through faith in the midst of the trouble. It does not mean that there will not be sorrow or disappointment, but there can also be strength to endure and peace that overcomes the pain. Perhaps this should be our prayer when we feel the breath of the lion on our necks - the weight of the world on our shoulders.

Vindicate me, O God, And plead my cause against an ungodly nation; Oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man! For You are the God of my strength; Why do You cast me off? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill And to Your tabernacle. Then I will go to the altar of God, To God my exceeding joy; And on the harp I will praise You, O God, my God. Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.” – Psalm 43

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: