Thursday, September 23, 2021

When It’s All Been Said And Done – Who Have I lived My Life For?

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.” — 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

Some of you may know that my oldest sister is near to entering the gates of heaven. Hospice has given her days before she passes. She has been born again – Martie and I were honored to share the Gospel with her and to see her yield her heart to the Spirit of God in faith and then to see the change that rebirth always brings. Facing times like this brings many thoughts and questions to mind. As well as introspection – reflecting on my own life.  Have I lived my life for Him.  As often happens to me, songs “bubble up” in my mind that are in context to the thoughts I am having as I press these keys on my laptop. Don Moen wrote a song – “When It’s All Been Said And Done” 

When it's all been said and done. There is just one thing that matters. Did I do my best to live for truth? Did I live my life for you?

When it's all been said and done. All my treasures will mean nothing. Only what I have done. For love's rewards. Will stand the test of time

Lord, your mercy is so great. That you look beyond our weakness. And find purest gold in miry clay. Turning sinners into saints

I will always sing your praise. Here on earth and heaven after. For you've joined me at my true home. When it's all been said and done. You're my life when life is gone...” Don Moen

That is what I want to be able to say when I am next in line to be present with the Lord. Then will be too late to decide that is how I should have lived. Same goes for you my friend.  Don’t be satisfied with what might have been.  Seize the day – walk – live by faith – be a light in this messed up world.

There are people in my sister’s life that do not have a heart for God – they are lost in their sin. It is not that they have not heard the truth – but that they will not receive truth as TRUTH.  My sister, even in her last days – under the influence of strong medication, what seemed at the time to be a random comment, said – “Salvation requires the Spirit of God and faith.” On reflection, I realized that she knows that – why? Because the Spirit of God, unaffected by the medication, is in her. Where the things of this world are escaping her thinking – the things of heaven are clear.  She is certain of this … [ I have personalized the verse with changes in brackets]

“ … for [she] know whom [she has] believed and [is] persuaded that He is able to keep what [she has] committed to Him until that Day. [She will] Hold fast the pattern of sound words which [she] has heard from [the Apostle Pau], in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed to [her], [she will]keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in her.” – 2 Timothy 1:12-14

What a promise! What a testimony! What an encouragement from my sister to me! Dr. Dale Tackett, with Focus on The Family – Truth Project, asked this piercing question, “Do you believe that what you believe is really real.” You will live by what you believe is real – what is truth.  If you live like the world, then although you may like the idea of faith in Jesus, but you don’t really think it is real and relevant of life on this planet. What will people say of you when It’s All Been Said and Done?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: