Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Having A Constant Conversation With God

Pray without ceasing…” —1 Thessalonians 5:17

“Our thinking about prayer, whether right or wrong, is based on our own mental conception of it. The correct concept is to think of prayer as the breath in our lungs and the blood from our hearts. Our blood flows and our breathing continues “without ceasing”; we are not even conscious of it, but it never stops. And we are not always conscious of Jesus keeping us in perfect oneness with God, but if we are obeying Him, He always is. Prayer is not an exercise, it is the life of the saint. Beware of anything that stops the offering up of prayer.” Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest

If prayer is conversing with God, then we are supposed to be in constant conversation with Him.  There was a young Haitian woman, Silfice, who helped us around the house.   I would often hear her saying “Jezu” – Jesus as she worked.  I asked her if she was talking to the Lord, she said “Of course”.  I thought she might be thinking, “Of Course! You mean that you don’t?  Doesn’t every Christian talk to the Lord?” The answer is, "yes" if they believe that He is present, approachable, would even want to hear what we have to say.

Prayer is to be as natural as speaking with your friends or your spouse.  But we all know that is not the case.  Our relationship with God is often based upon need .. not love.  I will talk to God when I need something.  Have you ever known someone and the only time they talked to you is when they needed something?  They don’t really need you .. they need what you have.  How do you feel, when they call?  How do you feel when they get past the greeting and get to the point .. I need something … and when you give it to me, I will get back to my life and forget about you until I think you can give me something that I need.

That is very often how we treat God.  We say we love God with our all, but treat Him as if we don’t.  Praying is a discipline that draws you close to the Father … and changes your heart’s desires …

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart  Psalm 37:4

I believe that means that He will exchange your desires with His.  “Not my will, but Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."  Not in heaven as it is on earth.  When was the last time you really had a conversation with your Father? If you are anything like me, It has probably been too long.

“I come to the garden alone While the dew is still on the roses And the voice I hear, falling on my ear The Son of God discloses And He walks with me And He talks with me And He tells me I am His own And the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known”  (C. Austin Miles, In The Garden)

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: