Friday, October 18, 2019

Navigating This Life

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path” – Psalm 119:105

I left early this morning to attend a meeting. I live in La Porte Texas and the meeting was on the West side of Houston.  So I opened Google maps – punched in the address and followed the line.  I almost missed a couple of turns because of the complexity of the intersections between the expressways.  I had given it 2 hours since you never know about traffic.  It took me about an hour and 20 minutes, so I thought “Coffee!”  I clicked on my trusty Starbucks app and there it was -  a Starbucks .3 miles away. I clicked on the icon and followed the line to Starbucks and yes a Grande Pike Place with a double cup! – no room. As I sat in my truck watching the clock tick – well as much as a digital clock can tick, I thought – “I wish life was that easy.”

My life has been a series of nearly missed turns and even some wrong turns as I have navigated the course the Lord has laid out for me. 

“For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.” – Romans 8:13-14

Sometimes I ignore the woman inside my phone, telling me which way to go and just do what I think is best. And I am guilty of not listening to the Spirit of God at times as well. Oh, I hear the Spirit say “This is the way walk in it.” But then, I put the Spirit on mute and go my own way.  It never goes well.  I always seem to end up in a blind alley or on a one way street going the wrong direction.  Hearing God speak, according to Dr. Henry Blackaby, is never the problem.  Obedience – doing what He says – that is the problem. I am in the middle of that right now.  I think I made a wrong turn. I am in the right town, but not on the right road. Have you ever been there?  So what do you do?

When I learned land navigation in the Army – that is using a map and a compass to find your way across the country side – I learned that when you are misoriented – a euphemism for “lost”, you go back to the last known point.  Where were you when you knew where you were.  Go back to that spot – reorient yourself and start again.  Sounds simple – but first you have to admit you are indeed “mis-oriented”, sometimes a tough thing for a guy, and then, humbly, retrace your steps.  What that means for me is that I have to click on the “undo” button.  Even in the face of some telling me – you are not really mis-oriented – just confused.  But – what is the Spirit saying?

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” – 2 Corinthians 5:7

Understanding – is not the criterion for obedience.  Faith and trust are. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.” – Proverbs 3:5-8

Do you know where you are right now? Are you there because of the Lord’s leading or have you put the Spirit on mute?

“… in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18-19

Maybe it’s time to go back to the last known point and reorient yourself.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: