Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Do The Words I Say Really Matter?

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” – Luke 6:45

The words that a person uses reveals their heart.  I listen to people very carefully for that reason.  God knows our hearts, but we are limited and can only gain insight into the heart of man in a couple of ways – by what the person says – over time – and by the gift of spiritual discernment that the Spirit grants to some but not all. 

Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.” – James 3:10-12

Something that I have noticed in television programming – even in the news – is the use of profanity. It started out with a one or two little words – words that you can find in the Bible – but words that were perverted in their meaning and used as profanity.  And when there was no outcry – from the television censors – not even sure those still exist – they didn’t keep it from airing or bleep it out – the media moved on to the next level of profanity. Until today, anything goes.  Martie and I change the channel – stop watching. When you see something or hear something that is contrary to our new life in Christ and do nothing in response, you send a message that what you saw or heard is “OK”. In the Army we said that when you ignore a violation of a standard, you establish a new standard.

Before I was born again, profanity was a normal part of my conversation. It flowed out of me like water from a spring, the water was bitter, but I thought it was what water was supposed to taste like.  But then I met Jesus and He changed all of that.  The water had to be treated at its source – my heart – for it to be sweet and not bitter.  All of the profane words I used to say are still stored in my brain.  I still hear them every day.  But I don’t use them.  Before they flowed from my mouth as naturally as the breath flowing from my lungs, today they are absent from my conversations.  They don’t even come to mind.

Something I have noticed when I have been around other Christian men. I will be talking to someone and they will form a profane word with their mouth, catch themselves and use another word instead. I suppose in deference to me and who they think I am. The thing is, they have revealed their heart even without saying the word.  You don’t have to say it for it to be sin – you only have to think it and then embrace it – decide to say it – even if you catch yourself and use another word. Out of the abundance of the heart.

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I [Jesus] say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” – Matthew 5:27-28

Do you see Jesus’ point? When we sin – sin happens in our hearts and then the sin is sometimes revealed by what we do or say.  In God’s economy, you don’t have to do it to be guilty of it.  The reason I am writing about this is because I know many Christians struggle with profanity – and if they don’t see it as a problem – then that is a problem. I hasten to add that I am not standing in judgement over any of you that are in this struggle.  We all have sinned and, sadly, we all continue in our struggle with sin.  One of your struggles might be profanity – while my struggle is with something else.

I want to encourage you in this ….

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” – Romans 12:2

Don’t let endearment to our culture dim your light – Let it shine before all men to the Glory of God.

No comments: