Monday, October 21, 2019

Loving Others Like Jesus Did

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” – Matthew 7:1-5

I am finding that my attitude toward Sunday morning sermons has changed a bit. While I used to listen to a sermon and think about how it applied to me – and I still do – I listen for nuggets of truth that I can share with others.  Like I am doing now.  Yesterday the pastor spoke on Luke 7:36-50. I am certain you know the story and about the woman and the alabaster jar of perfume.  The point made was that the Pharisee judged the woman from what he saw wrong in her life, (she was a sinner and he was not) but he wanted Jesus to judge him for what was right in his life. Don’t we all do that? We want people to judge us based upon our best qualities. That is what Matthew 7 is about – we don’t want to cut other people any slack -  especially those who offend us, but want grace and mercy for ourselves.  We project our faults out on other people.  

It is much easier to condemn our sin when someone else is wearing it.  Another example is the story about the unforgiving servant. (Matthew 18:21-35) Can you see yourself in those stories – on one side or the other? It is a matter of how we see things – from man’s perspective or from God’s.  The woman in Luke 7 came to Jesus with a broken heart surrendered. The Pharisee’s attitude was – first fix your sin and then I will accept you.

Jesus said to the woman, ‘Your faith has saved you; go in peace.’”  – Luke 7:50

Not judging others is not about excusing sin or condoning sinful behavior.  It is about seeing people like Jesus saw them. Showing people the love of God without embracing their sin. 

God is the God of all comfort who comforts us in our afflictions so that we can comfort others with the same comfort we ourselves have received.” – 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Don’t trust that you will be able to do what Jesus did on your own.  What God expects us to do – the love and compassion He expects us to have toward others is rooted and grounded by faith and the power of the Spirit.  Don’t try to resolve to do better on your own or demand it of others.  Resolve to faith and trust and love better.  God wants to love others through us.  That will only happen if we, ourselves, are living with hearts given over to God and see others with spiritual understanding.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.” – 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: