Friday, August 30, 2019

Listening To The Spirit Of God

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.’” – Isaiah 30:21

Do you think about the Spirit of God much? Certainly, as a Christian, you think about and know about Jesus. As you should.  But do you think about the Spirit of God? Did you know that the Spirit is a gift from God and the assurance from God of your eternal destiny?

I was in a woman’s home yesterday assessing whether or not the home should be – could be rebuilt or should it be torn down. On the face of it, the process is simple.  It is all about the foundation and “bones” of the home. In her case, my conclusion was not good with respect to the viability of the home.  But there was more to it than the home.  The woman is a 95 year-old widow.  She has very little money – virtually no family. But God knows her name and has not forgotten her.  That is why we were there. While I was looking at her home – the Spirit of God was speaking to me. “Cross the road.  Help the woman lying in the ditch.  Ravaged by life. Needing hope and help.” I don’t know what that will look like – but then, that is not up to me, but the Lord. I am not the primary source of help for her – someone and another relief organization is. But I know that I am to do whatever the Lord prompts me to do for her.

When the Spirit speaks – ours is to obey – even if it does not make any “earthly” sense. While we were in Haiti, there was a store that sold food packaged in the U.S.  Martie and I would go there from time to time.  There was a woman – a beggar – who stationed herself across the street. When I would pull up, she would approach the truck, tap on my window and say “Grangou” [meaning “hungry”] rubbing her stomach and making a sad face. That was not the same face she had when I saw her standing across the street. Sometimes I would give her money and sometimes I would not.  Martie would ask me why I did when I did.  I told her that I always ask the Lord if I should help her.  Sometimes He says yes and sometimes no. Not in audible words, else Martie would have heard as well, but through an impression in my mind and on my heart.  Sound mysterious? It is supernatural actually.

God speaks to us by His Spirit through His Word, prayer, circumstances and other Christians.  So what does that sound like?  It is never an audible voice – at least not in my experience.

“Then He said, ‘Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.’ And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. – 1 Kings 19:11-12

Oh, it would be great if we could have a conversation with God like we have with each other – but we cannot which is why the Father sent the Spirit to help us.

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” – John 14:26

The Spirit came on the day of Pentecost. That day is the Jewish festival of Shavuoth (Feast of Weeks) , which is the celebration of the wheat harvest and, some believe, is a commemoration of the day that God gave the Torah to the nation of Israel on Mount Sinai. Pentecost means 50th and is the 50th day after Passover.  The Spirit of God resides in each believer – something mysterious, certainly, but completely necessary to enliven us toward God and empower us to live this new life by faith in Christ.

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” – 1 Corinthians 3:16

Well – Do you?

No comments: