Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Being Faithful When You Say You Won’t But You Do

A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go, work today in my vineyard.’ He answered and said, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he regretted it and went. Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said, ‘I go, sir,’ but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?” – Matthew 21:28-31

The Lord brought this story to mind this morning. The story is about obedience, faithfulness, and the struggle we often have with the two.  It also reminds me that when I plant the seed of faith with someone – particularly a family member – I should not worry if there is not an immediate, positive response.  Our responsibility is to be a witness – by what we say and by what we do. People watch to see if “our walk matches our talk”.

I [Paul] planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.” – 1 Corinthians 3:6-7

Leading people to Jesus and sharing the Gospel are not necessarily coincident events, but they can be.  There might be times when you share your faith and the Spirit has been before you preparing the heart of the hearer. The point is that salvation is a spiritual – faith – transaction between one person and the Lord, by the working of the Spirit.  God uses us as He wills. But, it is always God that brings the increase – the Source of all things eternal.  When you share your faith – do you fear rejection? Does that prevent you from speaking? If you are depending upon your mastery of scripture and eloquence in communicating the Gospel to save people, then you should be concerned.  If you approach sharing you faith like selling a car or insurance, then you should be concerned.  Paul understood the spiritual significance of sharing the Gospel and, more, his inability to save someone by convincing them with his words.

I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.  And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.” – 1 Corinthians 2:3-5

I don’t know who this is for today.  Why the Spirit prompted me write these words.  But those who have ears (spiritual understanding) let them hear and who have eyes (spiritual vision) let them see. Perhaps you are like the son who said I will not share my faith because I am afraid, but you will.  Or are you like the son who said I will share my faith but then do not. Which one is doing the will of the Father? Trust God and not yourself. And the Lord will bring the increase to His glory and for the good of those who place their faith in Jesus.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: