Tuesday, April 16, 2019

How Important Is The Word Of God To You?

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God [God breathed], and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I attended a men’s study group last night.  The group is reading and discussing the Steve Farrar book, Finishing Strong. It was a great meeting and encouraging to hear men who have a heart for God. During the discussion, the topic of the importance of the Word of God came up.  Steve Farrar addresses issues that are cross-cultural, meaning they apply to all Christian men, but my impression is that the book was written specifically for men who live in the United States and other countries where the Word of God is readily available.  That is not a bad thing.  Finishing Strong is a great book. The thing is, as I was listening to the discussions, I was thinking about those Christian men who will never hold the written Word of God in their hands. And if they did, they may not be able to read it because they can’t read.  Those men are totally dependent upon the spoken word. Like so many that I saw in the mountains of Haiti.

Over the years I have heard so many excuses about why people don’t read the Bible. It is not because they can’t read or that a Bible, in a readable form, is not available.  It is because reading the Bible is not important to them.  They just choose not to read. People can watch the news or watch their favorite sports program or television series.  Literally waste hundreds if not thousands of hours watching what does not help them live their lives, but find it impossible to read the Bible for even 10 minutes. It is a spiritual problem – a heart problem.

Speaking of which, a friend of ours, Mitch Reed is having heart surgery this morning – in fact as I type these words.  Please pray for Mitch and his wife Sandy.

“Your Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against You.” – Psalm 119-11

I find it hard to memorize scripture.”  I can’t tell you how many times I have heard that.  Then I ask for their home address and they rattle it off.  I tell them, “You know your address because it is important to you, so you memorized it.”  It is not that they can’t memorize scripture, it is because they don’t want to. The reason – it is part of the spiritual battle we are in.

When Jesus was tempted in the desert by Satan, Jesus rebuked the temptation with the Word of God. Knowing the Word, the sword of the Spirit, is important for spiritual success against temptation.  In the United States, the Word is so available that it is not revered by many Christians.  Rather than read it themselves, they are content to look at it on the big screens at church on Sunday.  Personally, I think displaying the Word on a screen is a mistake. But, I will stop myself there before I start ranting.

If you are ambivalent about whether you read the Bible or not – you have a heart problem.  Maybe it is time for surgery.  I am giving you a referral to my cardiologist – Doctor Jesus. Pay Him a visit and take His advice. You spiritual well-being depends upon it.

No comments: