Monday, April 8, 2019

Christian Is A Noun, Not An Adjective

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! – 2 Corinthians 5:17

I heard a preacher speak about the fact that so very often we use the word Christian as an adjective. Like you would use the word, orange.  The shirt is orange. The sun was orange as it rose on the horizon. Of course, there is also a fruit named Orange. And there are over 600 different varieties of oranges. I happen to be partial to Navel oranges. Love ‘em.

If we understand that when we were born again by the Spirit of God by faith in the Son of God, by the grace and mercy of our Father God, then that should change how we view ourselves, other Christians and the rest of the world. When I was in Jacmel, Haiti I preached in Haitian churches twice a month, and had the occasion to preach in other churches from time to time and at crusades as well.  I often begin by say to the people, “Mwen pa Blan, mwen frè nou.” Translated, “I am not white, I am your Brother.” I knew that they new that I was not from Haiti and I was physically – naturally, different from them.  My point was that I was the same as them – identical in fact, spiritually. That we were part of the same family because of Jesus.

I was talking to my daughter about fruit trees.  She said that she knows a guy who has a fruit tree that has branches with three different citrus fruit growing on it.  Two types of limes and a variety of lemon.  I thought that is what the different ethnic groups in the body of Christ are like. Variations of fruit but all connected to the same source of life – part of the same tree making them part of each other. I am not a lime, I am your Brother.

I [Jesus] am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. – John 15:5

That is so difficult for people to embrace if their natural heritage dominates their thinking and their doing.  That is at the root of why someone can call themselves Christians and be bigots at the same time.  They view the world and the people around them from the context of who they are biologically and socially and not who they are in Christ.
People mistakenly use Christian as an adjective when they say someone is a Christian doctor, lawyer, African American who is a Christian, Chinese who is a Christian, White – Caucasian Christian.  It is natural for a people group to be drawn together because of genetics – cultural heritage and customs. Or some other attribute that they find in common.  But – being a Christian means that you have a new DNA - a spiritual DNA that is identical to mine. You are a Christian who is a doctor, a lawyer, an African American, etc.
Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth [a]through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever. – 1 Peter 1:22-23
When I was in grade school I learned that the Untied States was a “melting pot” where all nationalities were blended together into one people. They were all Americans.   That was a great concept, but failed in its implementation. You see unity like that is impossible for the natural man.  Unity like that is consistent with God’s intent for creation, but impossible for man to accomplish apart from the Creator.  This nation is stratified by the cultures that have immigrated here.  There is disunity caused by the natural things that make a group of people distinct form other groups of people.  Each group demands representation in government and in the public market place. The reason is that unity is not natural – it is supernatural, so each group must “fight” for its place in this society. Jesus said:
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. – John 13:35
We cannot expect people are far from God to do what only God can do. That is why we must identify as Christians first.  To let our light shine.  Don’t make acceptance of your natural self be the requirement for loving your Brother or Sister.  If you do, you set the stage for a natural not a spiritual relationship.  The world needs to see the “real deal” unity that comes by the power of the Spirit of God and not legislation.  That starts with getting our hearts right with God. The laws in our country don’t – can’t change hearts – only behavior and sometimes not even behavior.  Acceptance of other Christians only happens when we are right Spiritually. Do people see Jesus in you or do they see the world and your natural heritage?

No comments: