Thursday, October 18, 2018

Christians Are A Work In Progress – And The Holy Spirit – Not You – Is The Job Foreman


We are living in a travel trailer parked next to a church – on a major highway – on the approach end of an airport.  The highway is under construction and has been for years.  For local residents, it seems like the work has been going on since they can remember, with no end in sight. Not too different from the process of sanctification that happens in a Christian’s life.  That change – that construction – just doesn’t seem to happen fast enough in other people – not in me – other people.

Don’t you wish you had the power to change someone – quickly.  I mean – change their behavior – cause them to do what you want them to do? I have thought that many times for our children and their children.  If I could only get them to see the truth of what I say and the danger and consequences of the choices they are making.  Unfortunately, their understanding only comes after they are suffering the consequences of their poor choices. If only I had the power to change them and get them to see so they could avoid the heartache that is sure to come. Of course, as a parent, your heart hurts for them. And sometimes, you may even wonder – “What did I do wrong?” – “I feel like a bad parent because I could not get them to change course.”

Martie and I were watching a church service last Sunday – we do that sometimes – holed up in our little missionary cave – and the preacher said “No one has to be taught how to sin, we are all born with that nature.”  It was then that I was reminded that what I wanted to see in my children and theirs was a change in their nature and then a change in their heart and then a change in their life choices.  (2 Corinthians 5:17) says if we are in Christ – born again – the old nature will decrease and the new nature will increase.  The most important thing you can do for your child is lead them to Jesus – but the choice to yield their hearts to God is theirs, not yours. Oh – and to clarify – our lives are no different than theirs.  My mom felt the very same way about me and the other 6 children in our family.  Our three children have all professed faith in Jesus.  And we all still make poor choices – all of us.  We have a new life that is under construction. 

So, today, I don’t want to change my kids or their kids – I want them to fully yield their hearts to the Lord and let Him do the supernatural work of sanctification.  You may have heard this before – my mom told me that her mom told her “When children are young, they step on your toes, and when they are older, they step on your heart.”  It is the nature of things.  “Nothing new under the sun ..” (King Solomon).  

The take away here – love you kids – you don’t have to like what they do. Pray for your kids. Be an example for your kids of what a Christian is supposed to look like – be like – behave like – love like.  Dr. James Dobson says values are “caught” not “taught”.  What do you value? God’s truth or the culture’s truth?  If they make poor choices – you don’t have to pretend they were good choices – you just keep loving the one who made them. (that phrase is what is called a double entendre). CHARLEY (Phil 4:13) 

No comments: