Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Choosing The Best Over The Good Requires Faith And Devotion


(Luke 10:38-42) “As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”” 

I am certain you are familiar with this story. Both of these women loved Jesus.  The distinction was what they chose to do when faced with the good and the best.  Preparing the meal was a good thing – food has a practical importance.  Sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening to words of Life – that has an eternal importance.  I suspect that Martha was so consumed with the practical that she was prepared to forego the most important with good intention.  But she missed it.  She thought she was being responsible  - she was, but she was missing an eternal opportunity.  Like the time that the disciples wanted Jesus to eat.  (John 4:31-33) “Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.” But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.” Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?”” 

Concern about the natural often interferes with the super-natural.  It requires faith to see past the urgency of the things of this world and embrace things spiritual.  Someone called me a few weeks ago.  He told me that he had retired early, but could not access his retirement until he met a certain age.  He believed he was called to ministry. A mutual friend suggested that he call me about working with me for a few weeks.  He had construction skills so I told him that I would pay him instead of hiring someone locally to do the work I could not do myself.  He told me that he would let me know by the weekend.  He told me that he had been called to pastor a small church and would not be coming.  A few days ago, he asked me if the option was still open – all of his plans had fallen through.  He added that his wife told him that he should have some here.  I had already hired local people. The work was done – the funds were spent.  (I never hold up helping the home owner [the reason we are here] in favor of waiting on someone to decide if they might come.)  I was saddened because I felt that he had missed God in his indecisiveness.  Choosing the good over the best. 

Like Martha – this guy was trying to be practical.  God presented a spiritual opportunity – not to be with me – but to exercise faith and trust Him and not the things of this world.  When God calls you – it requires faith in Him – not money in the bank – not a more convenient time – not once the kids are out of college – although that may be God’s timing – but no matter – when He calls – a decision in the heart is required.  God does not need to hear empty promises – God knows the heart.  Those promises just make it easier to cook the food and not sit at Jesus feet. 

So – what has God been saying to you? And what have you been saying to God?  God’s call is not the same for everyone in terms of geography or activity.  But it is the same insomuch as (love that word!) it will require faith and devotion to respond to the call.  

When we were serving in Mississippi, someone asked me if I liked being in Mississippi.  It was a place of devastation and despair.  I told them “There is nothing better than being in the center of God’s will for your life – geography has nothing to do with it. So I lovd being in Mississippi because that is where God wants us to be.” How about you?   CHARLEY (Phil 4:13) 

No comments: