Monday, August 20, 2018

What Will It Take To Make You Happy?


“I no longer care what anyone thinks of me or the judgment what anyone has of me! I’m going to be happy no matter what.”  Have you ever had that thought? Being happy … that is everyone’s goal in life, right? There is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy.  Well what is that exactly?  Not having any financial worries, illnesses, relational problems? Maybe, feeling like you have value.  Not being depressed or sad.  Or maybe it’s fear.  Some people are fearful.  Any and all of those things makes you weary.  I think the person that said “I no longer care” had been trying to make other people happy by being what they wanted them to be.  The problem is, that doesn’t work.

This does have a spiritual point. We have a choice in this life.  We can choose to find fulfillment in the world or we can find it in the Lord. But, we cannot do both.  Telling people to trust in God can be like telling them to jump across the Grand Canyon.  Asking them to do what they see as the impossible. Instead they prefer to define what will make them happy and pursue it.  Even if it is contrary to the counsel of God’s Word and harmful to them.  Peace is what they are seeking.  The absence of stress and worry and hurt.  When that happens – which it never does – they are “happy”.  

(John 14:25-27) “All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” 

The peace – the happiness that people seek can be found in Jesus.  It is fully dependent upon the presence of the Spirit and your will being submitted to Him. Can you be happy without God? Yes. But that is not the point.  Finding satisfaction – happiness in this world is totally dependent circumstances of life.  Finding satisfaction – happiness – peace in Jesus is independent of the circumstances of this natural life you are living.  But that is a big jump – a leap of faith – that many are unwilling to take. And so they live with an underlying fear that their happiness might end one day – but it doesn’t have to.  So what makes you happy? Think about it.

This is a song that was popular in the ‘70’s

Happiness Is The Lord

Happiness is to know the Savior, Living a life within His favor,
Having a change in my behavior, Happiness is the Lord.
Happiness is a new creation, Jesus and me in close relation,
Having a part in His salvation, Happiness is the Lord.

Real joy is mine, No matter if the teardrops start,

I've found a secret, It's Jesus in my heart.

Happiness is to be forgiven, Living a life that's worth the livin',

Taking a trip that leads to Heaven, Happiness is the Lord.

CHARLEY

No comments: