Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Conviction Of Sin And Why You Struggle With It


My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him. —Hebrews 12:5

“It is very easy to grieve the Spirit of God; we do it by despising the discipline of the Lord, or by becoming discouraged when He rebukes us. … “Do not quench the Spirit” (1 Thessalonians 5:19), and do not despise Him when He says to you, in effect, “Don’t be blind on this point anymore— you are not as far along spiritually as you thought you were. … We begin to pout, become irritated with God, and then say, “Oh well, I can’t help it. I prayed and things didn’t turn out right anyway. So I’m simply going to give up on everything.” … Sanctification is not my idea of what I want God to do for me— sanctification is God’s idea of what He wants to do for me. But He has to get me into the state of mind and spirit where I will allow Him to sanctify me completely, whatever the cost (see 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24).” OSWALD CHAMBERS 

(Romans 8:29) “For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.”  So you want to be like Jesus.  You want to do what Jesus would do. Really?  For that to happen you must go through the “fire”.  What fire?  The fire of sanctification.  That is the process by which God, the Father, conforms you into the likeness of Jesus, the One who was obedient to the will of the Father, even to the Cross. 

Very often, we are like Adam and Eve when it comes to our sin.  We try to hide in the bushes. Hoping, that perhaps, God will not see us in our shame.  Too late!  And when that happens, sin I mean, the Holy Spirit will convict you of that sin.  (John 16:7-11)  “Unless I [Jesus] go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: about sin, because people do not believe in me;  about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer;  and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.” Being convicted of your sin is not enjoyable, but it is good.  We are all in a constant battle with our old nature .. our sinful nature.  It rises up daily to dominate our thinking and our doing.  But we have an Advocate!  We are sealed with the Holy Spirit on the day of our rebirth. The Spirit not only established our new, spiritual nature in Christ, but helps us live our new life.  Look, you may be able to hide your sin from man, but you cannot, ever, hide your sin from God.  God knows the heart of man .. your heart.  

So what to do?  You are not going to lose your salvation over it, but as Paul said (Romans 6:1-4) “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.”  Read 1 John 1:9 – yes, unless you have memorized it, you will have to look it up.  And then do what it says.   CHARLEY

No comments: