Thursday, July 19, 2018

Making Choices – There Are Really Only Two Options


You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. —John 13:13 

“Our Lord never insists on having authority over us. He never says, “You will submit to me.” No, He leaves us perfectly free to choose— so free, in fact, that we can spit in His face or we can put Him to death, as others have done; and yet He will never say a word. But once His life has been created in me through His redemption, I instantly recognize His right to absolute authority over me.” OSWALD CHAMBERS

I have often said that I wish menus at restaurants only had one choice. Then “I think I’ll have that” is what I would say.  So easy.  Instead I stare at a thousand choices and have no idea what I want.  All I know is that I am hungry.  Why else would I be in a restaurant?  Our new life in Christ is a bit like that.  God has purposefully given us choices.  He certainly didn’t have to.  He is the Creator.  He makes the rules. All of them good, but rules just the same.  He formed us.  He could have easily left the “choice part” out. Like our appendix.  Why put it in there if we don’t need it.  Some say because in ages past we did need it.  So it is kind of like buying a new car with an 8-track tape player in the dash.  But I digress (it’s one of my many talents!) 

God has given us the ability to choose who we will serve.  Him or the god of this world.  That would be Satan. So there are two items on our menu.  What to do.  Our flesh says pick the one that will satisfy my earthly passions.  God says pick the one that offers you what you really seek – love, joy, peace.  We are faced with this choice every day.  For the Saint, the first choice is called giving in to temptation and the second is called being obedient to the will of God.  We all struggle with choices every day.  Joshua said (Joshua 24:15) “And if it seem evil to you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom you will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” 

So what will you have to eat today?  CHARLEY

No comments: