Monday, July 2, 2018

How You Can Jump In The Deep End With Your Eyes Open


If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also…. likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple. —Luke 14:26-27, 33

“If the closest relationships of a disciple’s life conflict with the claims of Jesus Christ, then our Lord requires instant obedience to Himself. Discipleship means personal, passionate devotion to a Person— our Lord Jesus Christ. … To be a disciple is to be a devoted bondservant motivated by love for the Lord Jesus. Many of us who call ourselves Christians are not truly devoted to Jesus Christ.” OSWALD CHAMBERS

What are you willing to give up for your faith .. to follow Jesus in obedience to what He has called you to do?  Do you remember the first time you did something even though you were afraid to do it?  Maybe jumping into a swimming pool at the deep end.  With your eyes open! That is a trivial example, but doing that required you to go against what your mind was telling you not to do.  In a similar way, we face that battle when the Lord calls us to do something that our mind is telling us not to do.  Jesus did not say you must hate your family and friends.  He did say your love for them as compared to your love for Him should look like hate because there is such a huge difference between them. God  will always ask you to jump into the deep end of the pool … trusting Him alone.  He will and does ask you to abandon your earthly affections in favor of your heavenly ones.  Each of us know exactly what those are in our lives.  Maybe it means to leave your nets and the family business like Peter and John.  Maybe to stop associating with some people or stop doing some things.  It’s different for each of us but requires the same faith by all of us.

You can’t do what God asks of you on your own.  God never asks you to do anything for Him on your own.  He says follow My Son.  When you jump into the pool you are holding Jesus’ hand.  Oh, that just reminded me of a song … please indulge me for a moment ..   Charley

“As I travel through this pilgrim land .. There is a friend who walks with me

Leads me safely through the sinking sand … It is the Christ at Calvary

This would be my prayer, dear Lord, each day .. You help me do the best I can

For I need Thy light to guide me day and night … Blessed Jesus, hold my hand

Jesus, hold my hand … For I need Thee every hour

Through this pilgrim land … Protect me by Thy power

Hear my feeble plea O Lord, look down on me

When I kneel in prayer I hope to meet You there

Blessed Jesus, hold my hand” Albert E. Brumley, Jr.

No comments: