Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Want To Get Control Of Your Life? You May Not Like The Solution.



.... you are that one’s slaves whom you obey… —Romans 6:16

{CHAMBERS} “The first thing I must be willing to admit when I begin to examine what controls and dominates me is that I am the one responsible for having yielded myself to whatever it may be. If I am a slave to myself, I am to blame because somewhere in the past I yielded to myself. Likewise, if I obey God I do so because at some point in my life I yielded myself to Him. […] There is no power within the human soul itself that is capable of breaking the bondage of the nature created by yielding. For example, yield for one second to anything in the nature of lust, and although you may hate yourself for having yielded, you become enslaved to that thing. (Remember what lust is— “I must have it now,” whether it is the lust of the flesh or the lust of the mind.) No release or escape from it will ever come from any human power, but only through the power of redemption. You must yield yourself in utter humiliation to the only One who can break the dominating power in your life, namely, the Lord Jesus Christ. “…He has anointed Me…to proclaim liberty to the captives…” (Luke 4:18 and Isaiah 61:1). When you yield to something, you will soon realize the tremendous control it has over you. Even though you say, “Oh, I can give up that habit whenever I like,” you will know you can’t. You will find that the habit absolutely dominates you because you willingly yielded to it. It is easy to sing, “He will break every fetter,” while at the same time living a life of obvious slavery to yourself. But yielding to Jesus will break every kind of slavery in any person’s life.”

{ELGIN}  Once again, I felt I needed to quote Oswald Chambers' devotion almost in its entirety. What is it that controls your life?  Being a Christian, in its simplicity means that your sins are forgiven through the blood of Jesus and you are a child of God.  But it its depth, it means that you are not your own, you were bought with a price, even Jesus on the Cross, and you now serve God primarily .. not yourself … not others. But the reality is that your sinful nature does not want to die.  It continues to rise up .. to edge God out .. to rule your life .. to influence what you think and do.  Paul wrote about it in Romans chapter 7:21-25  ..

“So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

We overcome our old nature by surrendering to our new nature … which is empowered by the Holy Spirit because of Jesus death and resurrection.  The problem is that we try to contend with a power that we cannot overcome on our own. (Matthew 16:25) “For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” The problem is that we think we can and try, even though we continue to fail .. and so validate exactly what Paul was describing in his life as being true in our lives as well.  To live our new lives successfully, we must yield to the spirit and trust in Jesus.  Let me leave you with one of my favorite verses.

Joshua 1:7-9 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

No comments: