Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Don't Be Content With Living In The World Of What Is Reasonable



"Let us go to Judea again." The disciples said to Him, "…are You going there again?" —John 11:7-8

{CHAMBERS} “Just because I don’t understand what Jesus Christ says, I have no right to determine that He must be mistaken in what He says. […] I know when the instructions have come from God because of their quiet persistence. But when I begin to weigh the pros and cons, and doubt and debate enter into my mind, I am bringing in an element that is not of God. This will only result in my concluding that His instructions to me were not right. […]  Faithfulness to Jesus means that I must step out even when and where I can’t see anything (see Matthew 14:29). […] Faith[…] is not intellectual understanding; faith is a deliberate commitment to the Person of Jesus Christ, even when I can’t see the way ahead. Are you debating whether you should take a step of faith in Jesus, or whether you should wait until you can clearly see how to do what He has asked? Simply obey Him with unrestrained joy. […] Are you faithful to Jesus, or faithful to your ideas about Him? Are you faithful to what He says, or are you trying to compromise His words with thoughts that never came from Him? “Whatever He says to you, do it” (John 2:5).”

{ELGIN} Are you living in the world of what is reasonable?  Reasonable meaning that you are able to reason out what you are going to do?  I can’t tell you how many times someone has said .. “I would love to do what you do on the mission field, but I can’t afford it.”  My thought at that moment .. “you can’t afford not to … not to obey God”  God will never ask you to do what is reasonable in the eyes of men.  To sacrifice the things of this world for your faith is not reasonable from the world view.  People – many Christians – are fearful when it comes to giving up their comfort, their plans, their financial security to follow God.  We can read the stories in the Bible .. the rich young ruler for example .. and think ..tsk .. tsk .. how could he walk away from Jesus? And then do exactly the same thing.  While in Haiti, a Haitian friend and I were driving one day.  I mentioned the fact that Haitians seemed to be concerned that my truck was dirty, but were not concerned about the trash in the streets.  He agreed with me that it was a contradiction, rolled the window down and tossed trash out onto the street.  How could he agree with me and then participate in the very thing we were speaking against?  It’s a problem with humanity .. we don’t see ourselves and what we do or don’t do in the same way that we see other people.  We marvel at the great missionaries of times past.  We love reading about their exploits .. their sacrifices .. but never imagine that  God might call us, and often does, to leave our nets. That is not reasonable!

Just yesterday, a friend asked me how we ended up in Haiti.  I shared the story about how God spoke to us by His Spirit through the Word, prayer, circumstances and other saints about our going.  Then I told him that a friend in Waveland looked me squarely in the face when I told him what we were going to do and asked “Are you crazy?”  He had been to Haiti and knew the challenges there.  I told him that it was not my idea .. it was God’s idea .. and where God guides, God provides.  We spent four wonderful years in Haiti and still participate in ministry there.  There is a common call to all Christians … love God with your all … abandon your affection for the things of this world … walk in obedience to His Word … Love others more than yourself.  That call is a precursor to service.  You may not be sent to a foreign mission field, or even across town.  But where ever God has you … you must first be faithful to your common call if you are going to have value in the kingdom .. and that is not for your glory but for His. And be ready to do the unreasonable!

No comments: