Monday, March 26, 2018

Be Careful Not To Break Any Reeds As You Walk Through This Life



Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. —Matthew 5:8

{CHAMBERS} “Purity is not innocence— it is much more than that. Purity is the result of continued spiritual harmony with God. We have to grow in purity. Our life with God may be right and our inner purity unblemished, yet occasionally our outer life may become spotted and stained. God intentionally does not protect us from this possibility, because this is the way we recognize the necessity of maintaining our spiritual vision through personal purity. If the outer level of our spiritual life with God is impaired to the slightest degree, we must put everything else aside until we make it right. Remember that spiritual vision depends on our character— it is “the pure in heart” who “see God.” God makes us pure by an act of His sovereign grace, but we still have something that we must carefully watch. It is through our bodily life coming in contact with other people and other points of view that we tend to become tarnished. Not only must our “inner sanctuary” be kept right with God, but also the “outer courts” must be brought into perfect harmony with the purity God gives us through His grace. Our spiritual vision and understanding is immediately blurred when our “outer court” is stained. If we want to maintain personal intimacy with the Lord Jesus Christ, it will mean refusing to do or even think certain things. And some things that are acceptable for others will become unacceptable for us.”

{ELGIN} Two things I have learned about my walk as a Christian.  First is that it is a lot easier for me to see the faults of others than to acknowledge my own.  Second, I am much more willing to make allowances for sin and imperfections in my life than I am in the lives of others.  In Psalm 51, David pleaded with God  after being confronted by the prophet Nathan in regard to David’s sin with Bathsheba and sending her husband to his death.  He asked that God would create in him a clean heart and renew a right spirit within him.  David, a man after God’s own heart, struggled with his flesh, just like we do.  If our heart is right, our love will be right.  Matthew 22:37-39 says love God and then love others.  Our love for God results in a manifestation of love for others.  1 Corinthians 13:4-8 tells us what that love looks like … “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”

Is that the love that you show others?  Or, does your love fall short.  Just prior to writing that description of love, Paul wrote “If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.”  On the one hand, how can we speak critically … or harbor bitterness toward others .. and on the other say that we bring glory to God by what we do?  Listen, if you don’t have the love of God in your heart, then you are nothing more than a clanging cymbal … you are nothing with respect to your Christian life.  You are deceiving yourself.  Martie and I watch the Gaither Homecomings on PBS on occasion.  The other night, Gloria Gather prayed a prayer of blessing for a soon-to-be-born child…. She prayed “we promise not to break this tender reed with harsh attitudes and criticism.”  Have you ever walked through tall grass .. I mean grass that is waist high?  When you look back you can see where you have walked by the grass that has been broken as you made your way to your destination.  Gloria's words caused me to wonder how many broken reeds I had left along my path as I have traveled through this life.  And like David I felt compelled to ask God to create in me a new heart and restore a right spirit in me. How about you?

No comments: