Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Pressing On To The Higher Calling Of Our Lord



I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. —Philippians 3:12

{CHAMBERS} “Never choose to be a worker for God, but once God has placed His call on you, woe be to you if you “turn aside to the right hand or to the left” (Deuteronomy 5:32). We are not here to work for God because we have chosen to do so, but because God has “laid hold of” us. And once He has done so, we never have this thought, “Well, I’m really not suited for this.” […] Every Christian must testify to the truth of God .. […] Never water down the Word of God, but preach it in its undiluted sternness.  […] There must be unflinching faithfulness to the Word of God, but when you come to personal dealings with others, remember who you are— you are not some special being created in heaven, but a sinner saved by grace.” “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do…I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).

{ELGIN}  The name I gave my devotional BLOG is Pressing On.  That sums up my life .. and the life all we Christians live.  I have the image in my mind of my trudging in a snow storm, the wind howling, me leaning forward into the wind taking one step at a time.  My eyes focused on my destination.  That pretty much describes my Christian life.  It would be great if rather tan a storm I would describe it as my strolling through a field of flowers, the sun shining, the birds flying about and me singing “Zipadee doo dah – zipadee aay- my oh my what a wonderful day.  That is not to suggest that I lack joy in my life.  But my joy is not dependent upon the “weather” or the ease of my journey.  My joy comes from my serving my Lord … no matter what and no matter where.  Ephesians 2:10 says “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  God not only calls us to be Holy, and that not through fleshly effort, but to serve in obedience to His particular call on our lives.  We don’t get to pick and choose.  Whatever it is, we will not be able to do it, that is apart from Him.  So what is it that God has placed on your heart as your part in His kingdom?  Whatever it is, keep pressing on.

Pressing On (Bob Dylan)

Well I'm pressing on .. Yes, I'm pressing on .. Well I'm pressing on .. To the higher calling of my Lord.


Many try to stop me, shake me up in my mind, Say, "Prove to me that He is Lord, show me a sign."


What kind of sign they need when it all come from within, When what's lost has been found, what's to come has already been?

Well I'm pressing on .. Yes, I'm pressing on .. Well I'm pressing on .. To the higher calling of my Lord.


Shake the dust off of your feet, don't look back. Nothing now can hold you down, nothing that you lack.

Temptation's not an easy thing, Adam given the devil reign Because he sinned I got no choice, it run in my vein.

No comments: