Monday, June 5, 2017

Showing Unexpected Grace And Mercy Reveals Jesus To The World



He Himself has said….So we may boldly say… —Hebrews 13:5-6

{CHAMBERS} “My assurance is to be built upon God’s assurance to me. God says, “I will never leave you,” so that then I “may boldly say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear’ ” (Hebrews 13:5-6). In other words, I will not be obsessed with apprehension. This does not mean that I will not be tempted to fear, but I will remember God’s words of assurance. I will be full of courage, like a child who strives to reach the standard his father has set for him. The faith of many people begins to falter when apprehensions enter their thinking, and they forget the meaning of God’s assurance— they forget to take a deep spiritual breath. The only way to remove the fear from our lives is to listen to God’s assurance to us.[…] Are you learning to listen to God before you speak, or are you saying things and then trying to make God’s Word fit what you have said? […] Human frailty is another thing that gets between God’s words of assurance and our own words and thoughts. When we realize how feeble we are in facing difficulties, the difficulties become like giants, we become like grasshoppers, and God seems to be nonexistent. […] Are we continually filled with enough courage to say, “The Lord is my helper,” or are we yielding to fear?”

{ELGIN}  What is your first impulse when you are confronted with unpleasant situations in this life?  I had one such occurrence the other day.  I was challenged about something that was clearly my right, but was being told that I must yield to another.  The indignation swelled within me.  The feeling that I had to defend what was rightfully mine rushed to the forefront of my thinking.  Immediately I started formulating a logical argument that would defend my position and justice would be served.  But then, the Spirit brought Jesus' words to mind.

(Matthew 5:38-48) ““You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Suddenly the sense that I must protect my rights was overtaken by the Truth that I am a child of the kingdom.. This world is not my home.  I should not exchange the glory of God for a temporary earthly “victory” to prove that I am right and someone else is wrong.  I need to show them Jesus, who laid down his life for people who did not deserve it.  To show grace and mercy when it is not expected.  Am I willing to sacrifice my witness for the sake of being proven within my earthly rights?  In this case .. almost.

No comments: