Monday, March 27, 2017

Putting Your Faith In God Is Like Climbing A Mountain

My Utmost For His Highest 

Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place… —Revelation 4:1

{CHAMBERS}  “A higher state of mind and spiritual vision can only be achieved through the higher practice of personal character. If you live up to the highest and best that you know in the outer level of your life, God will continually say to you, “Friend, come up even higher.” […] Compare this week in your spiritual life with the same week last year to see how God has called you to a higher level. We have all been brought to see from a higher viewpoint. Never allow God to show you a truth which you do not instantly begin to live up to, applying it to your life. Always work through it, staying in its light.”

{ELGIN}  As you live this life of faith, you will discover that God wants to take you deeper. Learning math is a good analogy.  You must first learn to count, then add and subtract, divide and multiply.  Then you learn algebra, geometry, trigonometry, integral calculus, differential calculus … it goes deeper. When you are in first grade, you are not taught calculus.  Math builds on itself.  Some never go beyond the mechanics of calculation.  But there are many who learn to apply what they have learned.  Math is really only useful in its application in this world.  So it is with our faith.  I have found, in my life, that God takes me progressively deeper in my walk.  The path gets steeper, the air gets thinner, and my dependence upon God gets greater.  All the while, God is teaching me just how much I can trust Him. 

My faith is never deep enough to match the faithfulness of God.  And it seems just when you get the “times tables” down, the “teacher” puts an equation on the board.  Your choices are to open your heart and mind in obedience or to say “I can’t do it or I won’t do it”. As I have faced greater challenges in God’s leading over the years, I have also found greater joy and blessing in saying “yes” and trusting God. You have heard the saying “I don’t trust you any farther than I can throw you.”? Well, you can trust God knowing that His intent is to grow you.  (2 Corinthians 5:7) “For we walk by faith, not by sight.”  Some translations say “live by faith”.  I would suggest they both mean the same.  Christian “as you go about living your life” put your faith in God’s leading, follow Him in obedience.  You can’t go wrong if you do.

No comments: