Monday, March 20, 2017

Losing Your Spiritual Edge - When The Lord Is A Faded Memory



Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing…? —Genesis 18:17

{CHAMBERS} “Genesis 18 brings out the delight of true friendship with God, as compared with simply feeling His presence occasionally in prayer. This friendship means being so intimately in touch with God that you never even need to ask Him to show you His will. It is evidence of a level of intimacy which confirms that you are nearing the final stage of your discipline in the life of faith. When you have a right-standing relationship with God, you have a life of freedom, liberty, and delight; you are God’s will. And all of your commonsense decisions are actually His will for you, unless you sense a feeling of restraint brought on by a check in your spirit. You are free to make decisions in the light of a perfect and delightful friendship with God, knowing that if your decisions are wrong He will lovingly produce that sense of restraint. Once he does, you must stop immediately.”

{ELGIN} When you see the picture of a friend on Facebook or receive a phone call or have a chance meeting with them, do you feel joy in your heart?  Or perhaps something happens that reminds you of some pleasant experience. Do you feel the same joy at the thought of the Lord? There is a song by Hillsong, “When I Think About The Lord”

“When I Think about the Lord, How He saved me, how He raised me, How He filled me, with the Holy Ghost. How He healed me, to the uttermost.

When I Think about the Lord, How He picked me up and turned me around, How He placed my feet on solid ground.

It makes me wanna shout, Hallelujah, Thank you JESUS, LORD, your worthy, of all the glory, and all the honor, And all the praise...”

Does thinking about the Lord make you want to shout?  Or do you really not think about the Lord, perhaps only when someone else brings Him up?  Maybe on Sunday.   I have had a good number of friends over the years who have fallen by the wayside in my mind and heart.  They were good friends, but I neglected to stay connected with them and our lives took different paths, to the point that they are only an occasional memory, if I think of them at all.  Sad, but true.  Oh Christian, don’t lose your spiritual edge.  Don’t let who you are in Christ and whose you are with the Father and how you are because of the Spirit become some unemotional facts in your life.  It should and must be what motivates you, what gets you up in the morning. It should make you want to shout, Hallelujah.  If it doesn’t, as a preacher friend used to say, “Friend, your wick is wet!” Can I get a “Hallelujah, thank you Jesus” from somebody?

No comments: