Thursday, January 21, 2016

You Won't Be Content With Where You Are If You Forget Where You've Been

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Thus says the Lord: "I remember…the kindness of your youth…" —Jeremiah 2:2
 
“Am I as spontaneously kind to God as I used to be, or am I only expecting God to be kind to me? Does everything in my life fill His heart with gladness, or do I constantly complain because things don’t seem to be going my way? A person who has forgotten what God treasures will not be filled with joy. […] How much kindness have I shown Him in the past week? Has my life been a good reflection on His reputation?  God is saying to His people, “You are not in love with Me now, but I remember a time when you were.” He says, “I remember…the love of your betrothal…” (Jeremiah 2:2). Am I as filled to overflowing with love for Jesus Christ as I was in the beginning, when I went out of my way to prove my devotion to Him? […] Am I so in love with Him that I take no thought for where He might lead me? […]  I may also begin to realize that He is not what He used to be to me. When this happens, I should allow the shame and humiliation it creates in my life, because it will bring godly sorrow, and “godly sorrow produces repentance…” (2 Corinthians 7:10).” CHAMBERS
 
When I would read about Israel in the Old Testament, I would wonder, how could they forget what God had done for them so quickly, and then demand more from God.  But that is really the nature of man.  We so often focus on what we don’t have and not what we have. We expect things to be “perfect” … for our needs to be perfectly satisfied … for people to make us happy .. not to be irritating or carnal or less than we think they should be.  We forget what God has done for us, that we, too, have feet of clay.  In other words, we become consumed with ourselves.  Why do you think that God chose to include those reminders in His Word?  The Bible is like a mirror.  If you look into it deeply, you can see yourself, as much as you may not want to.  And the Bible is like a window.  If you look into it, you can see the very nature of God.  When I was in Haiti, every time I met with the pastors and directors of the schools, I would take them back to the beginning, so they could remember how far they had come.  Be careful that you don’t forget how far God has brought you. How He has blessed you.  How He has saved you.  And how much He loves those around you that you are so quick to condemn.  So look in the mirror, then look out the window and tell God, thank you. (Psalm 103: 1-5) “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me,  bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.”  ELGIN
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: